Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2008 3:18 PM by DomainDiva

A gift shop

venemiami Wayfarer
      Hey, I'm 27 and I live in Miami Beach. I have always have he idea of opening a gift shop store. A place where people can buy gift and unique items to give, but I don't know how to start this. CAn anybody give me some basic ideas so I can do it. I have not money now to do somthing, I wander if a bank will help me also. Thank you.
        • Re: A gift shop
          LUCKIEST Guide
          A gift shop, Welcome to this web site. The two best ways to start a business.
          One) Visit SCORE. SCORE is FREE and will help you
          Two, Develop a business Plan and then go to SCORE.
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
            RStudios Newbie
            Read, read, read! When I'm interested in a new venture I go to the library and check out every book I can find about the topic. For your idea I would read books about starting a business, and retail businesses specifically.
              kjripp Newbie
              Hi there,

I would have to agree with both replies - SCORE is an excellent resource (http://www.score.org), as well as the Small Business Administration (http://www.sba.gov). Reading everything you can and doing your research is key.

Here's a good library of articles on everything from writing a business plan to getting a loan to sourcing wholesale products:
              http://www.gowholesale.com/news/articles
              I hope this helps!
              Kari
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                NEK_BODY1 Wayfarer

Hello venemiami!
                I agree with the other reply's SCORE and SBA are excellent start but I would go a step further and research and talk with other "Gift Shop" owner who have started from nothing and have built the business. Talk to more than 1 gift shop owner and see what has inspired them to want to own a business like this? Take notes, Take notes and more notes and that is how you will make your dream come true. I have a small business I started from nothing with no loans or help from anyone - right now it's through "word of mouth" and networking with other small business owner in my community who believe in my product. So if you get time think of what type of items you want in your shop, how you want to set it up and get contact info from people you may want to do business with and take it from there. I know you will open a shop soon with God's Blessing - if you get time check out my website at: www.nekshea.com I may have some products that could go in your shop when you open it! Best of Luck to you.
                "NEK BODY ESSENTIALS"
                  DomainDiva Ranger
                  You need to identify what kind of unique gifts you will be selling. Handcrafted artisan items such as sculpture, jewelry, kitchen utensil object d'art? (Trust me on that last one).

Once you have identified what you want to sell, start your business plan and decide upon and contact your vendor list. What is SO exciting about starting a business NOW is that by the time you are ready to open, the economy will be bouncing back! There will be all kinds of deals on retail space and fixtures you can purchase from either Ebay or Craigslist. Start slow with a plan and kep working it step by step. Keep going evne if it is at a snails pace.

Good Luck DD