Post a new topic
    12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2008 5:13 PM by Michael

I hope we won't make this forum an Ad forum

goodedc Wayfarer
      I am not sure whether there is any moderator existing here, just get confused how they allow self promoting post in all the sub-forums instead put them to the Business Opportunities part, lots of forums regards such posts as spam.

Just hope new topics are something about your particular problems or issue when you run your business, not "what I sell/offer"!

Thanks

Liren
        • Re: I hope we won't make this forum an Ad forum
          NatOnline Tracker
          I agree with you, I beleive the best way if someone need services it is the creation of forum private messages, so threads can stay focus on advises, help, etc... and not advertising.
            xenopod Adventurer
            Maybe I am wrong about this, but isn't that the point of the business classified section? People can post about what they want and another can post what they can offer to another?
              Ed O'Gee Adventurer
              I agree, we don't want things to get out of hand, but at the same time you have to give people a chance to share what they do. Connect is what the site says when you sign in, so if I don't tell folks how I or my business can help them, it is hard to connect.

Now I will admit, so folks go way overboard, we ignore them or the moderators disable their accounts. I've seen users who have had accounts disabled come back on the site and change their behavior.

I don't think this board will ever be advertising free, but we have some great users who post excellent responses to questions and those are the ones I pay attention to, others I ignore.
                  NatOnline Tracker
                  There is another option to avoid advertising all over the forum and like you said the point of this BoA forum is connection between members.

If it is technically possible, one of the best way, would be to display the member site hyperlinked or just the domain link member under the screen name member. To be authorized and to avoid spam, let say after 50 posts, you can display your company link. So connection would be much easier for members.

It is of course just an idea, this forum is an excellent idea from Bank of America to let connect businesses.
                  LUCKIEST Guide
                  As I see it, This is an open forum, set up by Bank of America.
                  Bank of America should be congratulated on this site reaching 100 pages.
                  You all have been posting great questions, covering a wide variety of topics
                  including advertising and marketing for some posting.
                  Lets keep the bar raised high
                  LUCKIEST
                    Lighthouse24 Ranger

Some people find this site and think, "Great, a new place to interact, learn, and share with substantial number of small business owners." Others find this site and think, "Great, a new place to pitch my product, service, or MLM-scheme to a substantial number of dupes. Of course, legitimate small business owners (and future owners) are not dupes -- so those who arrive here hoping to score quickly are usually disappointed and move on, but someone just like them joins and takes their place.

My real concern is that if a legitimate business owner arrives now and sees that the forums are mainly "pitch" posts (instead of business questions, answers, and discussion), he or she will decide that there is nothing useful here and never return -- and we'll cease to attract knowledgeable new members who could really contribute and help us all. I've written this before, but I'd prefer it if the Business Classifieds were a tab at the top like the Stories and Experts sections rather than a forum category. (It could incorporate Nat's idea of using a member's contributions to determine how many attachments and live links could accompany an ad and where the ad ranked relative to others.) With a separate section designed for self-promotion, maybe we could keep the forum threads more on-topic.
                        xenopod Adventurer
                        I think that this is a great idea. Making it a navigational tab level separation from the rest of the forums. That way business classifieds could be broken down into more useful divisions and even allocate a space for the one time posters. This would also justify coming down heavier (in terms of moderation) on people who break from the policy if such well defined efforts were made to accomodate everyone.
                            Michael Adventurer
                            Community ~ I have to be careful of this advertising aspect to the community, as I have been known to post like an interstate billboard.

I apologize for this, and will do what I can to stay away from this type of mass posting.

I did not realize this was an issue, but really it makes sense that it would not work with this community.

I have noticed that alot of these types of posts are removed quickly after they are posted.

I will work hard to follow community guidelines.

Thank you, Michael