This discussion is locked
Post a new topic
9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2012 9:22 AM by Moderator Cath RSS

Promos. and Hosting

MsBoGie Novice
Currently Being Moderated

If you are hosting an event that you have collaborated with another business with do they assume partnership or are they for hire

• Re: Promos. and Hosting
    CorpCons08 Master

MsBoGie,

I am not sure if I am reading your "question" correctly or not. From what I am pulling out of this, you and another business collaborated "together" to host an event. You are now asking if this other business is considered a "hire" or a "partnership?" From the sounds of it, it sounds like it is a partnership. You collaborated together on a specific project. Unless there were terms set up front stating that they were working for you, then this is indeed a partnership.

Regards,

Dan

MsBoGie Novice

oh boy.....Okay the company does marketing and advertisments. That's all that was need and however, because I knew this person, I allowed them to collabroated with me on the whole idea of the event.  Now that doesn't make them apart of my company does it. Because they keep implying that we're partners when I'm the one with all the money and ideas they are just an extra pair of hands if you will. And because they sponsor their services there is no money involved, however she wants to it to become a write out, which I don't have a problem with as long as I have a reciept. What have I done? After this event I don't want to do anymore business with this young lady, who has accuse to my business e-mail account. This event is over as of the 25th. Thinking I should just go ahead and change passwords now or wait until after the event.  Feel like I should have done a little bit more homework when it comes to this person. My fault, but I thought I knew them. HELP

Moderator Jim Master

I'd never give anyone access to your business e-mail. Either make them a name on your server or forward the e-mails that are relevant to them to an address of their choosing. But change the password IMMEDIATELY. No one needs that access, especially if they're not part of the company.

Jim

MsBoGie Novice

love you thank you, as I said with Dan, A grave mistake and chance I told because it was a family member.  However, I now know to stick to my guns.  Normally I never let family, friends or feeling get in the way of my business. But I tripped up this time, and I'm now back on my feet because of people like You and Mr. Dan. Thank you and God bless you .

CorpCons08 Master

MsBoGie,

You should never give anyone access to your business e-mail account. There is actually never a situation where someone other than yourself would need to access your business e-mail account. I would recommend changing the password immediately and review the options Jim mentioned, like setting up their own e-mail account or forwarding relavant e-mails about the event to their own e-mail address.

To answer the other part of your dilemma, it appears that you gave off the idea that they were a partner in this event, which is why they are demanding to be compensated as one. There may be nothing you can do about this particular event, but going forward, I would let them know that you wish to go separate ways and leave it as that. There is no written agreements or contracts that you have mentioned, so it's best just to wash your hands of them after the event.

In the future, you may also want to look into a small business consultant to help you in making business decisions that you are unsure of. There were a lot of mistakes here than we, as consultants, can help you prevent.

Regards,

Dan

MsBoGie Novice

Thank you so much...it was my niece and very fast talking if you know what I mean.  Had some very impressive ideas and I thought I could trust her!  I've never done that before and have learned no matter who, do not let family, friends, and feelings get in the way of my business decision.  I'm really thankful for this site and the people that are here. Wish I had tapped into it 5 yrs ago.   But again Dan. God Bless You and thank you sooooooooo much

LUCKIEST Master

Ms. Mitchell, Dan always gives good answers.

You need to tell us more or give us more info.

Definition of a partnership:  An association of two or more persons as co-owners of a business

Also most people get into trouble by "assuming". You need to communicate with the other business

Good luck, LUCKIEST

MsBoGie Novice

thks...correcteds....thks again

Moderator Cath Master

MsBoGie, the 25th has come and gone and now you can look back with some clarity and evaluate.  Surely this was a learning experience in many ways.  I hope you feel as if it was a successful one overall.  Will you continue hosting events like this?  What would you change?  What will you keep the same or tweak a bit?

Will you share with us some of the important things you learned in the preparation, hosting, and evaluation of this event?  I know we can all learn from one another and if those who have 'been there' already will be generous enough to pass on some of their insights, we can all benefit and grow.  No one has all the answers but taking time to do a thorough evaluation can only set us on the track to continue to hone our services.

Cath

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 100 points
  • Helpful Answers - 100 points