This discussion is locked
Post a new topic
11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2012 1:23 PM by timberdoodle RSS

Woodworking business?

timberdoodle Novice
Currently Being Moderated

in todays world, how does one make the choice of product in the wood working business that will sustain a small business, when one has to compete with the big box stores and the commercial shops.

i am in the process of making a business plan and some of the answers needed arent coming as smoothly as i had anticipated.. i have experince in the businees in a small shop setup. cabinet making and have made some high end furniture, as well as been in the construction field for many years prior. so what help or suggestions can you folks offer. is there a place where one can check out the market in the close proximty to see what is selling and what isnt.. ?

• Re: Woodworking business?
    LUCKIEST Master

Welcome Larry

Where are you located??

I would be happy to help you with your business plan.

LUCKIEST 

CorpCons08 Master

larry,

It is difficult to say what is selling and what isn't selling at your competition, because a lot of it has to do with their sales people, pricing, availability, quality, etc. Starting with a successful business plan as LUCKIEST is suggesting is the best way to insure that you beat your competition out. You may also want to look into hiring a consultant to help manage the startup and development of your business, especially taking you into an emerging market.

Regards,

Dan

Moderator_PaulR Expert

Hello Larry,

One of the things Dan mentioned I think would be a key to the puzzle, quality.  You are going to find the big box stores sell a lot of stuff made from particle board with thin outer wood covering and other low quality items that are quick to mass produce.  To make a name for yourself you need to produce the highest quality items so people want to buy from you because they know your stuff won't fall apart.  It's good to have a friendly sales team but I would say quality is a huge thing you should focus on.

~Paul

CorpCons08 Master

I agree with Paul here. You would even be surprised at how far someone is willing to travel to purchase these higher quality items. Companies have been trying to save money by purchasing lower quality materials, and for that reason, their manufactured products have been of a lower quality. One of the many reasons why they made this move is because they were manufacturing the products before orders were being made. This was leaving them with higher expenses with not a lot of movement taking place to pay those expenses. An idea I would throw at you would be having a website or catalog where customers can place orders for items they like, or having one sample of each type of product (with the option to modify it to their liking) and then manufacturing it. This will cut down on manufacturing costs and prevent you from being stuck with a lot of inventory that isn't being moved.

Regards,

Dan

timberdoodle Novice

sorry for the delay in getting back here, i have seen some web sites that are set up like you mentioned where one can basically order there piece as they want it.. and i like that approach. i do have a good friend that is doing some advising which they do for a living so he is qualified:)  i have always strived for quality and understand the value of it but i am in a depressed area economically and i in my past i havnt been the SALESMAN just the worker bee:) and to get my mind set right its been a struggle to stand up and say i am good and that my product is as well.. but i am coming around ..after many years of being trained to be the worker not the owner who gets the praise and the complaints sometimes to.. its been a tuff road but i am getting there..i have the equipment and i have the resources and suppliers to get what i dont have.. now i need to get the clients and sales..just as a broad question here do you folks see the woodworking business as a fade or is it actually going to become stronger because of the trend for some to buy local or American rather than foreign mass produced lesser quality products?

Moderator_JoleK Master

Great to hear feedback ,Larry.  You clearly are evolving positively!  Keep us updated.

Joleen

CorpCons08 Master

larry,

Honestly, I feel the woodworking business is not just a fad. This is something that has been unsuccessfully replaced by technological advances, and in my opinion, that's a good thing. Quality work, good quality product, and beautiful end results is going to drive business no matter the area you are in. Customers are looking for this! Especially business clients. (which is where I feel you are going to find some success) When business clients open a new location and are looking to furnish it, they are more than likely not going to their local retailer looking at the prefab pieces. They are giving their business to the quality workshop in the area that they know will produce quality pieces that won't need to be replaced after 6mos. They also are great sources of reference to other clients, and will also be continued customers themselves if satisfied by the product. Most people are not looking for foreign mass produced lesser quality products, even in the recession. I think you have a good opportunity and am looking forward to hearing from you some more.

Regards,

Dan

timberdoodle Novice

ok you mention, SALES looking to be new business's being the buyers of the products. now most business want there products yesterday:)  quality and hand made products dont come that way.. so now we are possibly looking to have help making these quick turn arounds. so one needs to look for quality workers that will be responsible and that enters in to another world.. as of now i am a one man show in my vision.. so in order to accomplish your clientel.. what would be your suggestions. i was looking at being able to make these products as the client wants, and have some sort of  order it your way and here are the choices.. but i do have the ability to make original pieces that are more artsy lets say for lack of a better term.. i like to use my imagination and let my inner self show threw in my creations at times when the time allows.  so the short of it ... where would you say i should look into getting the sales for this new business i am setting up..and what products would you say are the ones to look into?

Moderator_JoleK Master

Woodworking and furniture making is an ancient craft. It has never been a fad. Everyone appreciates quality wood products. I agree with Dan on the concept of " build it and they will come" .

Joleen

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 100 points
  • Helpful Answers - 100 points