Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2012 6:54 PM by Brent Harrison

What does a business owner do when they have limited knowledge of the Internet?

Drachsi Scout

I work with a number of companies, most are aware of the practical uses of the Internet and understand basic website technology. I do have one customer that has no idea, paid somebody to build a website ( I think using a template). Now needs help, but does not understand what I am trying to explain to him. With many companies selling solutions, how should I handle the customer. I have shown him examples, spoken at length, but he just does not get it, but has the money to do what is needed. How would you react?

Drachsi

www.drachsi.com

• Re: What does a business owner do when they have limited knowledge of the Internet?
          LUCKIEST Guide

Drachsi, That is a great question.

It sounds like you are giving him good advice.

You said "but he just does not get it", which could be O K if he runs a successful company.

He really does not need to understand the internet as long as his company does NOT suffer.

You also said that he has money. Maybe he could hire you or one of your employees.

Also his wife or children (if married) might be able to help him learn.

Finally there are classes that could teach.

Let us know what happens. Thanks, LUCKIEST

• Re: What does a business owner do when they have limited knowledge of the Internet?
            Tracker

Hello Drachsi,

Luckiest is correct in saying the owner doesn't need to understand the internet to run his company well, provided it's not an internet based company.  That being said you could encourage him to take some computer classes on the internet as it is always helpful to know.  If he trusts you enough that could lead to a long term contract for you to do the needed internet work which could be good for your business.

A large number of people don't understand the internet yet, and that's okay, as long as they are willing to listen to those who do.

Good luck!

~Paul

Brent Harrison Adventurer

I feel you can talk till your blue in the face and he probably still wont get it. But try some o fthese below as it should matter to him big time.

You need to get the point across by showing him good site designs versus his (if it is bad). I assume the site is not up to snuff.

What he truly needs to undertsand is this. The internet website is his first impression to the online world. The same applys here as in person, like his dressing when meeting new potential clients. If the site looks bad this is his one chance to make a great impression, end of story. If the site is bad, he may as well walk into a client's office dressed with torn blue jeans, shirt ripped......you get the point, and he will also.

Not sure about you, but If I go to a companies website and it looks horrible, hard to get around in, cant find what I am looking for. I simply click off of it no matter what.

I will share one more thing with you from my 18 years in web development.

If the site looks bad, folks immediatley think they are cheap, dont care about their business, and just dont get it. How many times have you been to an ugly, succesful site. Even ebay has re-designed their site because of these studies. He must have a good site to represent him when he cant speak to them.

I hope the input helps. Thanks.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                myDealCompass Scout

I always wonder, and perhaps someone can enlighten me, how important a well developed website is to the typical brick and mortar business owner. I think that if a business owns their relevant domain name, has a basic landing page that describes who they are what they do and how to find/contact them, then this can be enough? You can augment it further with a Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and myDealCompass profile if it is appropriate to the business (and link to these from their website). Would that not cover more than the essentials for most small business owners?

I definitely think the amount of online presence necessary for a business can vary greatly depending on the industry they are in. ALL businesses can benefit from being easily found through search however!

Brent Harrison Adventurer

Well I can offer you this information.

What's the first thing folks do today when they hear a business name, person, or product. They Google it. To learn more about them, credentials, awards, certificates, etc.

That should speak volumes. It is a fact that everyone does it even the older generations are starting to use this feature alot more simply becuase they want to educate themselves on whatever it may be.

A basic site will work for this type of business, as long as it is a very nive site no matter how many pages and does mention the items mentioned above plus testimonials, real testimonials that is. Just like references but online. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful