Post a new topic
    14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2012 2:46 PM by LUCKIEST

Going Green in 2012

LUCKIEST Guide

As we head into 2012, many of us will be resolving to lose those few extra pounds, save more money, or spend a few more hours with our families and friends.

But there are also some resolutions we can make to make our lives a little greener. Each of us can make a commitment to reducing our environmental impacts.

So what are you or your business doing to go green??

Happy New Year, LUCKIEST

• Re: Going Green in 2012
          CorpCons08 Ranger

LUCKIEST,

This is a great topic. Honestly, my company started a "Go Green" initiative at the beginning of 2011. We actually had a designated group assembled through the first quarter of 2011 to implement changes to make us a more environmentally friendly company. Although most consulting firms are already pretty environmentally friendly, there was a few things we were able to do to increase our Go Green initiative.

1) Converting 90% of our paperwork over to electronic forms. We also purchased electronic signature pads so that contracts and agreements could be electronically signed by our clients, preventing printing, rescanning, printing again. Lots of paper was being wasted there.

2) Conserving energy by using motion sensors for our lighting in our office. This way if someone leaves their office but forgets to turn out the lights, the system automatically does so to conserve energy.

3) Promoting car pools for employees commuting into work. We actually had a huge success with this program and even offered incentives to employees who were part of a car pool.

There are some other smaller things we did, like purchasing eco-friendly products for our office supplies, etc. These were just a few I felt like sharing with the group.

Regards,

Dan

Dirk Vanderdonckt Newbie

Hello Luckiest,

Well, what I did to contribute to a more green environment is starting a blog offering people solutions to cut on costs and build themselves cheap solar panels and wind turbines with a guide I review on my blog. It certainly enthuses me to try and build my own solar panels. Recently we installed a water heating system burning chips of wood which distributes hot water all over our community. The addition of some cheap solar panels will be very much welcome.

Have a look at my blog and leave a comment if you wish: http://greenitreviews.com

Best regards,

Dirk Vanderdonckt

myDealCompass Scout

Interesting topic!  As a tech company we are pretty much paperless except for when the legal folks require us to have something on physical paper. One of our missions is to reduce the paper waste generated by traditional coupons and promotions and we feel that we should try to set a good example ourselves.  One of our guys drives a Volt and there is a charging station out in the parking lot. He told me the other day that he has driven over 2600 miles on less than 22 gallons of gas (lots of short commutes)! One of our other guys lives close enough to work that he rides his bicycle to work. While these two individuals do this entirely on their own accord, we are looking into some incentives to help encourage eco-conscious habits among the entire team!

Does anyone have any experience with programs promoting eco-friendly behavior from the employers perspective?

Sophia_Myles Tracker

Great topic here! For myself, I think what I can do in 2012 to help green the world is to continue with my bicycle-to-work plan. Rent a bicycle, ride to the office in the morning & come back home by bus or on foot in the evening, healthy & enviroment-friendly. I hope I can persuade more people to ride & walk with me, starting from colleagues maybe. For the company, I'm gonna be really careful with the paperworks, make them right before printing, chrish every single piece of paper.

Goody Wayfarer

Great topic! Help green the world is a top priority for our business. We partner with businesses that promote the green cause. Take a look at one of our business partners' green initiative at http://www.green.globalvodo.com/ This is an online fundraising website that lets organizations and/or fundraisers to go 100% green while raising funds for their causes from the start to the finish line. It may be of interest.

Thanks!

Vilnius Industries Tracker

Yea man, rethinking the USA energy usage and production could employ millions of people in this country, IF congress could agree on a comprehensive plan.

More solar power and other renewables could increase supply of electricity, which would lower end user prices, which would be good for the American consumer.

Tracker

Trying to go green is a great thing to do, but make sure the green solutions you are trying are truly green.

An example of what I mean is replacing incandescent light bulb with CFL's.  Yes the CFL may use less power, but they also have mercury in them that can be released if they are broken or thrown away. 

So yes go green, but truly green.

~Paul

CorpCons08 Ranger

Utilize sunlight! I tell my associate's that all the time. We have windows in each of our offices, why waste electricity?

Regards,

Dan

Ranger

You have a good point, Paul.  Another example is the development of electric cars. They aren't a good example of green technology and getting away from fossil fuels, if the source of electricity isn't produced in a green manor. Our electricity locally is produced by burning coal. Using and charging an electric car would actually produce more pollution .

It's good to think beyond what's in our hands to consider where it came from and how it was made.

Joleen

CorpCons08 Ranger

angela,

Are these personal go green initiatives, or does this tie into your business? Either way, thank you for your support of the green initiatives.

Regards,

Dan

jennie23 Adventurer

Going green by using CD Messenger. CD Messenger is an Inter office messenger. Now i don't need to use intercom to establish communcation with colleagues. Replaced paper sticky notes but its programmed sticky notes feature.

http://www.cdmessenger.com

alicenikolic Scout

By opting virtual office space instead of a traditional one you can eliminate over 13,000 pounds of CO2 that is released into the atmosphere during the commute every year. http://www.unitedvirtualoffice.com

WinnSom Wayfarer

My goal is to go totally paperless by the end of the year.. Paperless Office here I come