Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2012 5:27 PM by Hudacko Enterprises

How to motivate retail employees

appoutpost Wayfarer

I'm thinking ahead to the day when I have two (or more) retail locations, and I have to staff one location myself and hire an employee to staff the other(s).  What advice does anyone have in regards to successfully motivating the lone retail employee, who now is the sole representative of your 'brand' in that area, and has control over your store and contents when you're miles away?  Just off the top of my head I'm thinking about a base salary of minimum wage, which is industry standard, PLUS 10% commission on sales, adding 1% or 1.5% for every faithful year of employment with the company, with an added bonus of some kind for loss prevention, either weekly, monthly or yearly.  Any ideas?  After all, it shouldn't be that hard to properly motivate a retail employee when they actually have a stake in their own income and future, hopefully preventing an employee that sits behind the register, head in hand, blowing bubble gum bubbles and watching the time clock, uninterested in whether they make a sale or not.  Please let me know if this sounds feasible or not, or any other viable ideas.  Thanks.

• Re: How to motivate retail employees
          Navigator

That sounds like a good start for drawing in applicants, but it will be up to you to filter out the type of representative you want in your store. You know what you are looking for and do not compromise on those standards when hiring that person. Hire in the right person and then make sure to reward/appreciate their loyalty and good service and they will hopefully stay for a long time. If they turn out to not be who you thought they were, don't hesitate to educate them on your expectations or replace them.

Best of luck in your future endeavours!

~Moni

LUCKIEST Guide

Glad to know that you are planning ahead.

Viable ideas, Let your employees know that their work is commendable.

Tell them "You as an employee is what keeps our company strong" Keep up the good work.

Followed by a raise or paid time off.

LUCKIEST

Sophia_Myles Tracker

I think the idea about commission will work well in your case. Good luck~

Moderator Jim Ranger

Good responses so far, proud of our community here for helping out!

Jim

Hudacko Enterprises Adventurer

Another option to consider is to make the employee an "Equity Partner". Explain to them that their financial future, as well as the company's, depends upon their investment in time and effort to make sure that store's customers are satisfied, experience great customer service and sales assistance. Offer a percentage of the "Profit" of the store, in which the employee works, on a quarterly basis and make that sharing a result of you and they sitting down on a regular basis to discuss how things are going at that location. Be sure to be very clear when discussing percentages and tying them to S.M.A.R.T. goals for the employee. Once the store has been established for at least one "season" you can then begin to have conversations regarding increasing the store's sales and tying that into the "compensation" conversation. This way the employee has some "skin in the game".

Good Luck!

Tom

PS: You can see the definition of S.M.A.R.T. goals here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_criteria