Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2012 11:47 AM by Bridge

Question about Asset Based Lending...

gmk560 Newbie

Hi all.  I am new here, so please be gentle.

I work at a magor US bank as an Investment Advisor.  The firm I work with is making a push into asset based (aka security based) lending.  For those who are not familiar, this is a non purpose loan with liquid assets (such as stocks, bonds, mutual funds, CDs, ect) as collateral.  I am looking for a little advise on who could best denefit from this style of lending.  The rates are very low, 150-250 bps over 30D LIBOR, so for someone with short term liqidity needs, I think it makes sense.  Maybe as a bridge loan to longer term financing, or even an alternative to a traditional mortgage or SBL.  Account stays as an open line of credit, so can be tapped when needed.

Also, what are the negatives... if you are a pro, feel free to poke holes in the idea... I like to know what I'm selling.

Thanks in advance.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
          • This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
        • Re: Question about Asset Based Lending...
          LUCKIEST Guide

asset-based lending is any kind of lending secured by an asset.

The phrase is used to describe lending to business using assets not normally used in other loans.

LUCKIEST

Vilnius Industries Tracker

I talked to one of the financial institutions i have accounts with about this topic in 2010.

They said, if i wanted a loan useing , stocks, bonds and/or mutual funds...... 80% of the assets value would be the limit of the loan, they plan on the collateral losing 20% in value, so thats a buffer for the lender, i guess ?

The institution was a brick and mortar, regional bank, in the eastern time zone.

Bridge Navigator

Assets don't pay back loans cash flow does - see housing market for example. 

Most small businesses would rather see a cash flow based loan product.

If I am a small busienss owner with liquid assets as you describe, the product seems even more unattrative. Why would I pay a bank interest on a loan against a CS that is probably only making 1% right now.  I would cash the CD and have the cash I need.

Most assets backed loan peoducts I've come across are typically secured by long-term assets that cannot be quickly converetd into cash.