Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2011 11:18 AM by CorpCons08

Can fast shipping be too fast?

Tracker

Recently I shipped an electronic item and found out it was going to arrive four days before I would prefer it did.  Now while I didn't ship it for business reasons, have you ever shipped something (or had something shipped to you) that it arrived to early?   Why was it important for it not to arrive as early as it did?  I'm interested to hear your stories.

~Paul

• Re: Can fast shipping be too fast?
          LUCKIEST Guide

Yes shipping can be too fast. So what??

Isn't that the same as when you mail something that should arrive in a day or two and it takes a week to get delivered.

We (living in N Y) order gifts for our grandchildren (living in Chicago) and if we track the gifts, depending upon where it is shipped from, they get the gifts in a day or so. Usually early, before the event.

BUT isn't better to arrive early, than a day late..

I get medicine shipped to me. Yes it goes out on Tuesday and arrives on Wednesday. The day it is scheduled to arrive.

It is only important if it does NOT ARRIVE.

LUCKIEST

LUCKIEST Guide

Everyone is gifted. Some open the package sooner.

AGAIN, LUCKIEST

AG

ed rogers Wayfarer

I sat and thought for about 5 minutes and in today's society when everyone wants everything yesterday I can't think of one situation where something can be shipped too fast....

Good question though.

Moderator Jim Ranger

I think shipping is all about timing. You have to be prepared for when it shows up. If you get 2 day shipping and you're not going to be there or be prepared for it in two days, probably not a good idea to get it then. But for me, 99% of the time, early shipping is a nice surprise.

Jim

Tracker

Thanks Ed, I was thinking something along those lines.  I shipped an item ahead of me expecting it to arrive on or after I did but it arrived four days before and I had to rely on someone I didn't know to hold on to it until I got there.  Would that sort of thing every happen in business, maybe sending a prototye of a product ahead of you but you don't want the company you are showing it to holding on to it until you arrive.

~Paul

CorpCons08 Ranger

Paul,

Shipping companies consistently disappoint... Either you pay top dollar to get an item at it's destination, and rarely it does. Or you pay for a basic ground shipping, with a delivery time usually about a week depending on destination and it arrives much sooner. Of course, if you are not there when it arrives, I always seem to be a casualty to packages being dropped and someone else picking them up and walking off with them. I cannot stress my frustration when having my associates ship me packages when I am on the road conducting meetings or presentations. Sorry, I am ranting, back to your question... Can fast shipping be too fast? It honestly depends on the carrier, the season, what is being shipped, and if there are any obstacles in the way. My advise is, if the package is not difficult to ship, deliver it yourself. lol

Regards,

Dan