Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2011 9:13 AM by Moderator_MoniE

Where has the time gone? Looking ahead to 2012 ... Already!

Navigator

Wow, it seems like not so long ago, everyone was worried about computer systems coming into the new millennium. And wasn't it just last week that I finally got used to writing 2011 on my checks instead of the all too familiar 2010? And here I sit now with 2012 about to slap me right square in the face. I feel so unprepared! As I sit and look at the mud being tracked into my place from all of the rain we have had, I am reminded that even though I just shampooed the carpets, so very soon "Spring Cleaning" will be upon me.

And when I think of Spring cleaning my house, I know it won't stop there. In fact, it probably won't even start there. I will begin my annual Spring clean-up in my office with my business and if I'm lucky, I might make it all the way to my house afterwards!

What things do you do for your business once you've rung in the new year? Do you update your company website, file outdated or shred expired documents or rotate and restock the office supplies? Or do things just keep rolling along and piling up? Share your helpful tips or horror stories about your "new year" business routines! Or take a look at the tips Steve Strauss has written about in his article this week entitled 4 Ways To Get Your Business Ready For 2012 for ideas that you may not have even thought about!

Seasons greetings everyone and a productive new year!

~Moni

• Re: Where has the time gone? Looking ahead to 2012 ... Already!
          LUCKIEST Guide

Yes, in theory, every new year is a great time to review and improve, if it makes sense to improve.

In a successful business, you are continually working to improve and grow both your employees and customers.

The new year could be the right time to create a clean slate.

Make a list of the most important responsibilities you need to focus on.

An old adage suggests that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

The truth is that the more things change, the more things change some more.

Sometimes you get to plan the changes, but most of the time, change arrives unannounced.

Here to a healthy and productive new year, 2012

LUCKIEST

Tracker

I personally don't do a lot because of the new year.  Of the few things I do for the new year is get ready to do my taxes and find a chocolate orange. 

That being said, I would suggest a few things to a business owner to do around this time.  The first of course is make sure you have all your paperwork together so you aren't scrambling later on.   Next, take a look at how things are going in your industry.  Are things going up? Can you or will you need to hire more people or do you have to many already?  Are you going to need more space or do you have vast empty spaces you will never fill?

Also, it might be a good idea to see how much office supplies you use and see if you can find a better place to get some.  Do you use a large amount of printer toner or paper? 

Just a couple of thoughts, here's to 2012

~Paul

LUCKIEST Guide

5 Steps For Time-Pressed Business Owners To Make Next Year Really Special

Whether you already have a set of information products (and the profits to show for them) or you're just taking the plunge to create your first bonus giveaway, you may wonder, "How am I going to get the time to do this?"

I use this system for my own products and recommend it to my clients. Here's an overview. 

1. 1. Develop your target market's number one problem.

1. 2. List features and benefits you can offer to help.

1. 3. Draft your sales letter.

1. 4. Write your Report.

1. 5. See results.

Track responses and have a successful 2012

LUCKIEST

CorpCons08 Ranger

Chocolate orange? I actually googled this when you typed it lol!

In response to Moni, the new year usually doesn't bring about a lot of changes for my business. Usually the month of December finds me reviewing my clients current situations and planning for changes and growth for them in the new year instead. January is a month where proposals and presentations begin and action plans are put into place to take those visions to a new level.

In the office, I may look to cut expenses that were higher than expected in the previous year. As Paul said, I may look to change vendors for my office supplies or printing supplies, etc. I also look into upgrading computer hardware to make sure I am keeping up-to-date with the latest technology.

Regards,

Dan

Moderator Jim Ranger

Lots of great answers here, wishing everyone the best in the new year!

Jim

CorpCons08 Ranger

I think a really good question to ask is, how many of you review your original business plan at the end of the year and recognize areas of opportunity to get your business venture back on track and aligned with your business plan? So many business owners or entrepreneurs prepare a business plan, or have someone prepare a business plan for them, but then jump all in and don't follow their business plan at all.

Regards,

Dan

Craig Parker Tracker

Hunting season is about over, and soon it will be too cold out in Maine to work outside.  The lumber yard will be slow until sometime in March probably.  I've been thinking of a couple things...

1. Fire up a part of the website to sell some hardware online.  It gets drop shipped for free, we don't have to process payments (our supplier will) but I'll need to create the interface and back room stuff.  I can't do this with the phone ringing, so if we're going to do it, after Christmas is the time.

2. Here is a two part "sort of rant" you might find interesting: http://www.doopensource.com/rants/technology-for-small-business-use-open-source-and-stay-ahead-part-1/

I will be hunting for solutions in that area for sure.  By next spring, I want a salesman do be able to do just about everything whilst standing in someone's dooryard (that's Mainah for pretty much anywhere on the property you can see your house from) with a smart phone or tablet.

2a. I'm leaning toward learning Java, at least as it applies to making #2 happen.  I suspect I'm out of luck if I am going to depend on our vendors getting with the program, and that means do it my damned self...  You small business owners understand...

Navigator

Wow, Craig! Sounds challenging but worthwhile! I always wanted to live in Maine growing up then I grew up and realized how darn cold it was up there during the winters and that changed my mind!

Dan, great question! The beginning of the year is a good time to do several things like change the batteries in your smoke detectors and review your business plan for updates!

Paul, Luckiest & Jim, thanks for the input and insights.

As I was tooling around the site, I found another article that I believe compliments the Strauss article I mentioned above. It's an SBOC article in General Business entitled 10 Ways Small Businesses Can Prepare for 2012. It contains some more tips for getting ready for the New Year.

I wish you all a joyous holiday season filled with love & laughter. May your 2012 be both prosperous and blessed!

~Moni