Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2012 9:26 AM by Moderator_JoleK

On Time or Else

Ranger

In the course of doing business, most of us have a timeline of how long it takes for the client to receive their goods. Whether it be an item or a service, we usually tell them it will completed by a certain date.

What do you do , when you can't meet that deadline? Do you discount your services? Do you offer some other type of item to stave off complaints? Or do you wait to see how upset the client will be before deciding what to do about it.

After all, we usually add a percentage late fee on payments. What is the recourse in your business for goods or services not delivered on time?

Joleen

• Re: On Time or Else
          LUCKIEST Guide

Good question. The first rule of business is that everything is negotiable.

As a business owner, you love your customers, you need them.

You try hard to please them and that gives you tremendous leverage.

As the business owner, you can negotiate just about anything, and you will be surprised by the way

it maintains or improves customer relationship.

OfficeGoddess Navigator

As a bookkeeper, I rarely have client deadlines to make.  However, I have a policy of a 25% discount and reimbursement of their financial loss (up to $100) on the client's bill should I miss an important deadline such as a credit card payment, etc.

Moderator Jim Ranger

Great replies so far. Let's keep this one going.

Jim

Navigator

That is a pretty awesome gesture on your part and appears to serve multiple purposes. Not only does it give you an edge over other book keepers because you do something many don't (offer a loss protection guarantee) but it also motivates you to stay on point, know your clients needs and to meet them in a timely manner. After all, you don't really want to have to pay for a mistake so you are less apt to make one but if you do (and at some point we all do) it shows that you take responsibility for your error and hold yourself accountable. I find this commendable.

In our businesses we will go out of our way to remedy any dissatisfaction that our customer may be feeling in any way we can. Even if it means we return the product and refund the sale we prefer satisfied customers!

Happy holidays!

~Moni

Kacie Parker Adventurer

Great answers. Just to add my two cents, you should tell your client as soon as possible if you can't meet a specified deadline. It is important to explain and then offer GOOD alternatives. I think this is better than covering up your mistake.

Sophia_Myles Tracker

"Late fee" sounds reasonable, and I think in cases where you cannot diliver on time, the most important thing is to let your customers know the situation as early as possible. Email/call/chat with them to apologize, tell them the estimated arriving time and offer make-up solutions - whether another goods to replace or a discount in price. The earlier and sincerer your apology goes out, the higher chances it be accepted.