Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 5:06 PM by Matt Castro

Strategy!

Matt Castro Adventurer

Hi.  Well, just checking to see if the headline is an attention grabber.

I started a discussion here a few days ago about Business Plans and Strategy.

http://smallbusinessonlinecommunity.bankofamerica.com/message/108554#108554

But, I wanted to get some thoughts on just the topic of "strategy".  Really looking at the challenges of building a strategy for a business.  Of determining where to take a business, how to grow, how to prioritize the activities/time/investments for a business that's already alive but needs a direction.

When you sit down to outline your business strategy, what frustrates you?  What makes it difficult to start?  If it feels difficult, why?  What system/process/consulting have you tried that didn't work?

Just looking to see if this part of business management is as challenging for you as I have experienced and seen others struggle with.

Matt

• Re: Strategy!
          OfficeGoddess Navigator

For me the biggest issue was creating the time to work through building both a business plan and strategy.  I ended up blocking out a few hours of time on my calendar every-other day for a week for these processes.  I started by making a list of where I wanted to go.  I revisited that a few days later, refined it, then started on how i was going to get there.  Again, a re-visit a few days later allowed me to fine-tune the process.  I also re-visit my plan and strategies every three months to adjust, refine, and add to them.  This has really worked well for me.

• Re: Strategy!
              Matt Castro Adventurer

@OfficeGoddess.  Love the handle.

Lily, you make some good points.  I like the focus you took on this project and the starting point: "where I wanted to go".  This is a great point to start - the end in mind.  And adjustment and refinement is great.  I have found that there is often a "learning and adapting" circle built into strategy work.

Thanks.