Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 1:13 PM by chris1985

Help with opening a transportation business in Orlando Florida

jamdor Newbie

Hello I am a foreigner setting up a transportation business in Orlando Florida. I'm a bit lost of what to do next and hope you guys can give me some insights on where to go from here.

I have registered myself as self-employed and my idea is to set up a transportation business.

So I hire a car/shuttle/limo/van/suv/whatever, I hire a driver (they dont need to be from the same company) and I get the passengers.

My driver will take and bring people from the choosen place (a party, beach, whatever). I am not a tourism agency, I would

just be the middle man that would connect the car, the driver and the passengers.

Where can I get legal advice on how to write a proper contract for the van/bus hiring, for the van/bus driver, and for

the passengers? What are my legal obligations in case an accident happend? Do I (as a company) need insurance or just the

driver?

Basically I am a bit lost. I dont think it would be appropriate to just write contracts out of my head and start the

business without first be sure of my responsabilities and the way to do all this correctly.

Any ideas of where to get this kind of advice so I can start asap?

thank you very much,

http://www.oriontransportation.com/

• Re: Help with opening a transportation business in Orlando Florida
          Navigator

Is the link you posted for your company or an example of the business model you would like to replicate?  Posting it the way you have is somewhat confusing since you are asking for licensing and liability advice and then linking to what appears to be an established business.

If I am reading your question correctly, it sounds like you want to be the person people call to secure a van/limo/shuttle etc. -- to act as an agent between a passenger, a driver and a vehicle. Most transport vehicles come with their own driver though, so it would seem as if you are complicating the equation by getting a driver who has no vehicle and a vehicle with no driver and putting them together to accommodate a passenger. Why not just work with agencies who hire out vehicles with drivers as most businesses prefer their own employees drive their vehicles due to insurance and vehicle liabilities.

You said you want to be the middle man. My first question would be "How viable is this business for your local area?" My next question would be, "How much have you researched this idea/concept?" and lastly, I am wondering, if I were a tourist and I wanted a shuttle to take my family to Disney World, for example, why wouldn’t I just search for shuttle companies instead of looking for a middle-man to connect me to a shuttle service. It has been my experience that middle-men tend to increase the cost of the service I need and cutting out the middle-man saves me money.

On another note, when I was vacationing in Florida last July, the resort I stayed at offered a free shuttle to the Disney parks each day ... no middle-man required.

I am not trying to discourage you and I do hope you respond with more details and insight. Doing so will help you get better assistance and more specific answers from the community.

For any liability related questions, I would suggest that you contact a lawyer or an insurance representative. Here is a listing from the Small Business Association detailing the types of business insurance some businesses require. It might be helpful. Also, here is an article about business licensing, also from the SBA website. Hopefully that gets you started in the right direction for now!

Regardz,

~Moni

• Re: Help with opening a transportation business in Orlando Florida
              chris1985 Tracker

"I am wondering, if I were a tourist and I wanted a shuttle to take my family to Disney World, for example, why wouldn’t I just search for shuttle companies instead of looking for a middle-man to connect me to a shuttle service. It has been my experience that middle-men tend to increase the cost of the service I need and cutting out the middle-man saves me money." ------ This was my first thought as well after reading the original post, just looking for a local taxi company's number on my phone is all I need. And the airport always had a shuttle for me to get me close to where I needed and I wouldn't want a shuttle to anywhere unless I had luggage. Maybe a little more clarification would help?