Post a new topic
    15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2011 11:26 PM by pearlcarbajal

Dun and Bradstreet SIC Number

Importium Inc Newbie

I am starting a new business and would like to get a Dun and Bradstreet number. I am not familiar with an SIC number and how to obtain it. Any information that can be given to me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• Re: Dun and Bradstreet SIC Number
          LUCKIEST Guide

You can get a D and B number online (like google)

The D-U-N-S Number is an industry standard for keeping track of the world's businesses and is

recommended and/or required by more than 50 global, industry and trade associations,

including the United Nations, the U.S. Federal Government, the Australian Government and the European Commission.

Good luck. LUCKIEST

Dustin Luther Wayfarer

Hi Importium:

You can get a D-U-N-S number directly from the DandB website: DandB.com/Establish-Business-Credit.

-Dustin

REBiz Adventurer

They do assign Dun's numbers without asking for it.

I have an old business name which I never took further.  I registered a website but didn't get far with the business.  Dun And Bradstreet called me and asked if it was my business and I replied with the affirmative.

The last I checked it still has a DUN number assigned even though it is not in usage anymore. 

So to answer the question:  You can go to the website to make sure you get assigned one, but D+B does use various databases including internet domains and the like to assign DUNS numbers.  However they will call you up to confirm the business.

Erik Salmon Scout

Hi REBiz,

The question was do they send not assign with out asking. There are 2 reasons DNB will assign a Duns #, if a creditor request a credit report on your company or you register with them. Unless one of these 2 events happen DNB does not know your company is in business. In your case you must have applied for some kind of credit with a vendor or bank for your company and DNB was verifying information. DNB does not just start looking for companies unless they have a reason to verify information in their data base and most of the time it is due to an inquiry about your companies’ credit from a creditor.

Regards,

Erik Salmon, CCFC

REBiz Adventurer

Incorrect.  Never applied for credit.  Dun and Bradstreet got my name because of a domain I registered and got the information from the registration database.

I know this for a fact.  I was not assigned a DUN number over the phone.  It did however assign a DUN number for me, and it is verifiable on the website.

I did not apply for credit with this business in any way shape or form.  All I did when I received a call from Dun And Bradstreet was register the website.  I quite frankly never got far along the process.  All I was doing at that stage was registering the website and was working on coding up the website in HTML.

So yes they do get information from the domain registrars when you register a domain.           

Erik Salmon Scout

DNB does not search out new companies to add to their data base. The domain registrant or your web designer or some third party data company may have requested information on your company to be verified but DNB does not seek out company’s because they do not have to. This is not my opinion but based on my experience in the credit and finance industry.

REBiz Adventurer

I was the web designer and I was not enrolled in third party databases.  As I said all I did was register the business domain name with a name registrar.

I put a company name in as the owner of the domain which is how they got the business name. 

I used the cheapest registrar at the time since there were numerous of them and it was one that many people would not have recognized.  I honestly don't know offhand if the D+B check was initiated by Dun And Bradstreet or the information was sold to Dun And Bradstreet on behalf of the registrar.  However I do know that many registrars at a minimum, not one will cause the business name to be listed at a minimum.  A quick search shows multiple registrars will do checks with Dun And Bradstreet which in essense leads to a DUN number without you requesting it and for many people at a minimum, the DUNS number will be assigned because of this.  I wouldn't be surprised if almost everyone did this if not everyone however. 

Erik Salmon Scout

If someone request info on your company and there is not information in the data base, DNB creates a Duns # for that company so they can create a file on it. They then verify the information submitted to them by the requestor. You listed your company information as the owner of a domain. Some third party data company probably did a search on new domains (can be looked up under whois) or they purchased the information from the domain registration company. They then submitted the information to DNB to verify and obtain more info on your company in order to have their own up to date data base they they then turn around and sell for marketing list, credit reports, asset searches, demographics, etc.. 

This is why I have my clients check DNB to see if they are listed first before requesting a Duns #. In any case DNB does not data mine, they just verity the information given to them from creditors and information requestors.

Erik Salmon Scout

Hi,

With obtaining your Duns number, if you do not pay for D&B's credit builder (I suggest you do not) then it will take 30 days to obtain a duns number but first you will want to do a search on DNB.com to see if your company is listed as if you have applied for credit from a vendor that has requested a credit report on your company then you will already have a Duns number. If not you can click on request a duns number and fill out the questionnaire. The third way to obtain a duns number is if your company is going to be applying for government grants or contracts. You will have to request a duns number here http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform

then you will have to complete your government registration.

The SIC code is not something you apply for but choose for your company. You can look up what your company would be classified under by going to http://www.naics.com/search.htm you can also look up your NAICS code there as well. Make sure you pick an industry code that best classify your company so that your company is not misclassified when you apply for funding.

Regards,

Erik Salmon,CCFC

Dnavarro Newbie

Dun and Bradstreet also Dun and Bradstreet Credibility Corp uses SIC codes as another way of describing what you do at your business. It's important because it CAN be changed on a  report, and you will do well to change it to something that properly describes your import export. you may go to SIC code website osha.gov to search different descriptions and numbers. but remember you also have to be sure that your NAICS code describes your company properly. Please visit http://is.gd/5Z5HD5 if you don't want to go through Dun and Bradstreet or their partner Dun and Bradstreet Crediblity. Like us there.

pearlcarbajal Newbie

The ability to dream big and then the common sense to put into place the things necessary to achieve your dream are two traits that I think are necessary for success. It’s also a great idea to keep a journal of your ideas. Reading the journal on those difficult and occasional down days may help to keep you focused and motivated.