Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 1:18 PM by Clear Presence Media

Holiday Hours

LUCKIEST Guide

Retailers, eager to draw in customers, are talking about opening earlier and earlier this year.

What are you doing about store hours and the competition??

• Re: Holiday Hours
          Tracker

Since you mentioned this, I also have a question for you (and anyone else who would like to answer.)  With Black Friday, some stores are opening on Thanksgiving evening before midnight.  Is this a good idea or way to early?

~Paul

LUCKIEST Guide

Way to early. Thanksgiving day is a family day. Thanksgiving is also a big travel day.

How are employees going to travel, eat a big Thanksgiving meal and then go to work??

Yes most employees will get holiday pay, but some retail workers said that "holidays hours are a raw deal"

Many shoppers who will be waiting in line will be missing Thanksgiving.

Moderator Jim Ranger

Last time I managed in retail, I was always glad that the corp. policy for the store was to close early on Thanksgiving and Christmas (though we were totally closed on Easter for some reason). I always volunteered to work them because I lived 10 minutes from the store and could make it home in time for dinner. For that store it made sense because we were the step between a gas station and a k-mart, we were open for travel time but no one was going to come to us for any specials at midnight (I mean how much could we discount toilet paper to get a rush?). For bigger stores though, it's tradition and people actually go out of their way to plan for these sales.

Jim

LUCKIEST Guide

I guess that I am just old fashioned.

Holiday meant Holiday. There were 4 main holidays, when everything (and I mean everything) was closed.

New Years Day, Easter, The Four of July and Xmas.

I know that employees look at the extra money (working on a holiday) in their pay check.

LUCKIEST

LUCKIEST Guide

There are TWO different schools of thought on holiday sales.

It's simply too early if you are a consumer. YET customers ARE buying NOW.

If you are in business it is NEVER to early for any holiday, especially Xmas.

If businesses do not plan for early sales, they will loss out.

, LUCKIEST

Moderator Jim Ranger

This year I'm noticing that a lot of the websites and stores I go to have just done a month long holiday sale instead of waiting for black friday deals. Amazon, Newegg, etc. are all running weekly or daily deals apparently instead of a cyber monday offering. I can say I've been taking advantage of the sales, but not to what extent since some family members have big eyes and ears.

Jim

Clear Presence Media Scout

If the big retailers are opening at midnight, it must be profitable for them to do so. The only question is if it is for you as well, and only you can know that.

Do realize though, the "Black Friday" of Online and E-commerce sales has been picking up a lot of steam in recent years. More and more people are looking for great deals online and skipping out on sitting in the cold waiting only to get 40th pick at the best sales items...