Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 4:57 PM by vnavguys

classifieds and seo

admin Tracker

Does placing my freelance graphic design business in low ranked classified ads lower my pr rank of my website and vice versa for high ranked ones ?

• Re: classifieds and seo

From my understanding of Page Rank, and I could be wrong, posting your site on a low raked site won't lower your rank although it might raise the site you posted it on.  If you post it on a site that has a higher one it should raise your site's rank provided Google counts that site in it's equations. 

If you want a far more detailed explanation on how it works, take a look at this, but it's a very dry read.

Anyway, if you are advertising on as many pages as possible, I don't think you will lose PR, only gain it.

cloudy Wayfarer

Also note that 1 link from a pagerank 7 page is like 100 links or more from a pagerank 6 page and so on down, a single link from a pagerank 6 page is like 100 links or more from a pagerank 5 page.  So it takes literally millions of links from page 1 and 2 sites to equal a single link on a high page rank site. Hope this helps as well.

Nyagoslav Zhekov Wayfarer

The answer is - it depends. Many people place too much importance on PR when in fact what you have to be asking yourself should be "is the website/page/section of a website I'm getting a link from relevant to my website". If the answer is yes - this will in no way affect negatively your "PR". If the answer is no - it is also possible that your PR would not be affected negatively. However, you might get punished if getting links from such places becomes a practice.

The bottom line - don't sweat too much over PR.

George Adventurer

If your site was just starting, then you could get to PR 1-2 with links from just about anywhere - quantity is really what gets these PR levels. However, if you want to get in the PR 3-5 range, you'll need quality backlinks. Continually getting low quality links will not hurt you, but they will not prove significant in your ranking. I say continue to get links where you can and it will help - but if you want to have significant progress - you'll need to get links from higher quality sites.

The web is getting more and more saturated with poor quality links, which is lowering PR values, just like a neighborhood with declining home values. You'll need to cultivate the value of your current links by "linking to your links" - you can also increase your PR this way.

vnavguys Tracker

I would think of classified ads as a traffic source and thats it.  Getting links from them is futile and ineffective.  Google is all over that.