Post a new topic
    51 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2012 12:30 AM by harmanrainu

Is a logo important for a website?

NatOnline Tracker
      Hello,

I am wondering what would be the benefit to have a company logo for an e-commerce rather than just the company name on the header.

Thank you
        • Re: Is a logo important for a website?
          CorpCons08 Ranger
          NatOnline,

Logos are the basis of starting a company branding. I work with many of my small business owners and explain to them, you want to have a symbol/icon/logo that people see somewhere and say "oh wow, I'm thinking of Jean-Luc." McDonalds is a notorious example. You see double arches, it may not be McDonalds, but suddently you have a craving for an Angus Third Pounder with Bacon and Cheese. (sorry if this went off track, lets get back to the point) Company Logos are a necessity in the marketing and presentation of a successful small business. I recommend them and may be able to help you with developing one when the time comes.

Best regards my friend,

CC08
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              RongDesign Adventurer
              A good logo makes a customer feel more comfortable. Without the proper logo it feels less professional when I visiting a site. That does not mean you have to have a big logo in the top left hand corner of your website or even use any special font for your logo. So long has you have displayed your name in a creative way on your main page, you have already told your customers that you take your company seriously.

Visit WebsiteQuote.org!
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              LUCKIEST Guide
              Nat, Logo design is the illustration of the business.
              It is considered
              to be the tool which gives the first impression of a business.
              Before starting a business much consideration should be given to the
              logo design.
              The logo should be designed according to the name
              of the company and the business product.
              LUCKIEST
                NatOnline Tracker
                So basically, a related logo to the business, will make customers more comfortable to buy online?
                  CEO Space Scout
                  I made millions of dollars in several businesses and never had a logo designed.

I have several web sites that make money and I never had a logo designed.

I had some associates whom spent thousands on getting a great logo, I really liked it. It was beautiful.

Made me feel like they were such a bigger company than they really were.

They lost everything and were out of business in less than a year and ended up losing everything.

That is my experience.
                    PragmaCo Newbie
                    Logo is usually the first "visual" contact any visitor to your website, is gonna form with your company. Just imagine Amazon being without a logo! However, in web space, a "readable" word-based logo (in fonts) may have a far reaching impact than a geometrical figure or just a visual. If you notice, most of the web portals have their name styles as their logos. A logo speaks a lot about the website and its "quality".

My 2c,
                    Rohit
                      pixelwacko Newbie
                      NatOnline's response above makes a lot of sense from the perspective of business fundamentals (from which the long term sustainability of a company is more dependent on). The DotCom era of the late nineties saw a "boom" in what is known among grahic design circles as "identity systems" even though many of these businesses had nearly non existent business models that eventually led to their demise.

Having said that, there is such a thing as "brand equity". Strictly speaking, logos are not limited to symbols or icons. Some are based out of what are known as logotypes (example: IBM, Xerox, Coca-Cola).
                        Lighthouse24 Ranger

Nat, to offer an unscientific explanation, the brain essentially treats a company name as a word or phrase, and a company logo as a picture. It attaches and links different information to each, and stores and recalls each in a different way. Having both a name and logo simply gives consumers more ways to recognize, remember, and recall your brand or business identity.

In general, names are mentally linked to thoughts and factual data, while logos are linked to feelings and sensory information (repetition over time blurs that distinction, however -- for example, just the name "Enron" can trigger strong feelings and facts now, and so can the Nike "swoosh" which, for all you trivia buffs, was created in 1971 by a freelance designer in Portland, Oregon named Caroline Davidson for a fee of $35).

It seems logical to extrapolate that the less your business relies on emotional or sensory responses from consumers, the less a logo matters. In other words, if the predominant elements that trigger people to do business with you are fact/logic-based, it probably doesn't matter if you have a logo or not.

On the other hand, can you imagine a NASCAR racer without any logos? In a number of comprehensive studies cited by NASCAR FactExpert, it has been shown that NASCAR spectators (live and television) purchase considerably more of the product brands that are advertised on NASCAR vehicles than they do of competing product brands that aren't advertised there -- and, of course, the advertising is always just a logo alone, because the available space is small and the time for viewing may be brief (not unlike a web page with a new visitor).
                          NatOnline Tracker
                          Well I know by experience that companies have logos, but I though e-commerce don't have necessary the need to get one, because it is pretty obvious to see what the website is about. I agree that a font and not necessary a graphic can be use as logo.

A logo well done can highlight the company perhaps more than just the products themself. Also in my opinion and particularly online, the main goal is making the difference with competitors one way or another.
                              Iwrite Pioneer
                              No, you don't have to have a logo for a website to be successful. No one has ever made money from their logo, except in court. No company has ever gone out of business because of their logo. I have watched companies with outstanding products go under because they do not understand the importance of awareness. A logo will not make you or break you.

But a logo, even simple one, helps a company develop an image with customers. At a glance it serves to remind people about your product even when they are not thinking about your business. You don't have to go broke creating one.

There is no price that can be placed on instant recognition, the ability for people to recognize your business at a glance. What is that worth to a business owner?

How do you measure whether it adds to or takes away from the success of a business? I don't know.

What I know is that in a crowded market place, you want to be recognized quickly and easily - good logos do that.

Is a good lawyer in blue jeans and a t-shirt still a good lawyer? Yes. But would you want him representing you in court? More than likely not. Then, why do you want a poorly dressed image representing your business, your life blood, your dream?

People tend to be visibly motivated, a lot of our decisions are based on how things look. Study after study has proven this. If your product is good and the price is fair and people are still not lining up to buy your product, maybe their decision has something to do with how they perceive your business.

NatOnline Tracker

The products we are selling are excellent, not because we are selling them, because we are using them too. Prices are fair and people love our products.

The logo will represent the theme of our company, the products,etc... and perhaps more in the future. We would like basically a symbol for our company that people can recognize.

I will let people know when it will be live :-)
                                      PragmaCo Newbie
                                      We all see it but don't notice it or probably don't question its relevance to our minds. Take a look at the following few sites, popular in India atleast.

http://www.myiris.com/ , http://www.icicidirect.com/ , http://shopping.indiatimes.com/ , http://shopping.rediff.com/shopping/index.html

All of them bear a logo (in font type). Its a statement you make via the logo. But guess you've understood the importance of it.

/Rohit
                                        Iwrite Pioneer
                                        Nat,

My statement was a general statement, I was not questioning the quality of your product or whether or not people are buying it. What I was doing was making a point that there are more factors than just having a great product and a great price that influence the buying decision.

I tend to respond to the last post in the string because I don't want anyone to think that I am ignoring their contribution to the dialogue. I need to change this practice because it seems to cause confusion with some members.

I believe there is more to owning a business than selling a product or service. Most businesses fail for reasons other than the product being bad or the prices being high like - bad location, poor management, no marketing support, NO BUSINESS PLAN, inadequate financial support, poor customer service, just to mention a few.

I was approached by the owner of a hamburger place that I love to do advertising for him, but I turned him down because his staff's customer service is horrible. Before I drive anyone else to his business, he needs to address this issue. He understands that, and has begun to work on it. Would advertising have helped his business? Yes, in the short run but after one visit most people would not come back. He doesn't need a nicer logo. He needs nicer employees.

puzzleman Tracker

Nat, My logo is my name done in a custom font that represents my business of making puzzles. Check it out on my website at www.namestool.com,

I think that your products line and name have a definite tie in with Hawaii. When I think Hawaii, I think palm trees, pineapples, leis and beaches. My opinion is to create a logo using these items for the letters. for example, palm trees for "t", leis for "o", have a beach under or behind the whole name. Something like creates a visual like people mention above and also is your name.
                                      NatOnline Tracker
                                      Thank you guys for the feedback.

Iwrite, I understand that a successful business isn't only one thing but an ensemble. What I am trying to do is optimize parts of my business one at a time.
                                          Iwrite Pioneer
                                          Cool.

Make sure the designer of your logo provides a style guide for your logo that includes a color pallet.
                                            CEO Space Scout
                                            I still don't think a logo is necessary. Not only not necessary but not even important enough to give time to.

But if you really want one.

Go here and for $3 he will create it

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=577481

3$ Logo / Unlimited Revisions / Job Done In 24 Hrs / Moneyback Service !!
                                            Here I am with my service for designing logos.

1) 3 $ logo
                                            2) Project done in 24 hrs
                                            3) Money back i you are not satisfied with my work.
                                            4) ONLY PAYPAL
                                            5) PSD / AI SOURCE FILES WILL BE PROVIDED.
                                            5) ALL RIGHTS TO THE OWNER UPON PAYMENT

James

Good Luck
                                            Kathy
                                                NatOnline Tracker
                                                Thanks but I am not a digitalpoint member, I am member of V7n forum which is a more friendly forum of webmasters.

I remember an American expression: You get what you pay for" so with $3 logo it is an insult for the graphic artists and I don't think there is any motivation to design something great.
                                                    CEO Space Scout
                                                    Possibly, or not. I was just making a suggestion.

Not to insult any graphics designers. When the business calls for it, I think you should hire the best.

And we have the best branding, graphics designers, etc in our network at CEO Space (imho) lol

There have been times in the past that I paid a ton of money for example a brochure design and it made me no money. And then paid almost nothing and it made me a lot of money and I ended up using it for years without a change.

My bottom line is always profitability. If it is low cost and I can try it out, I will do that and see if it works. If it doesn't, I move on. Of course, these answer are all very generalized and don't cover the entire aspect of any issue talked about.

I would get some examples from the guy and see for myself before making an opinion.

Again, just my suggestions.

I really do wish you the best of luck.

Kathy
                                                    Iwrite Pioneer
                                                    That's the beauty of America, we can all have and express our opinions. And no one person's opinion is more important than anothers.

NatOnline Tracker
                                                  Thanks all for your feedbacks, I think this thread need to be close now.
                                                    CEO Space Scout
                                                    Here is the link to the guy direct for the $3 logos and his portfolio. I think they look pretty good.

http://jamessdesigns.wordpress.com/

Just FYI to finish that off.

Good Luck

Kathy
                                                      cellotogo Newbie
                                                      Yes, very important as it serves to immidately brand your website.
                                                          tunesnvids Newbie
                                                          Logos are essentially service or trade marks and when it comes to those, companies protect their marks relentlessly. Most small business owners don't know that you run the risk of getting sued and/or put out of business by a superior company that might feel that your logo is infringing their trade or service mark rights. For this reason, it is very important to consider a likelihood of confusion with an existing mark, particularly where the goods and services classes match. The best way to do this is to search the USPTO.GOV web site whilst also keeping in mind that a logo, trade or service mark does not need to be registered to be valid. A logo, trade or service mark, can afford it's owner superior rights if the date of first use in commerce is earlier, all the owner of the logo, trade or service mark has to do is prove this. So whilst it sounds easy to just go out and pick an attractive logo, it's even more critical to be diligent about the legalities that come with identifying a business with a mark.

.Reg
                                                              puzzleman Tracker
                                                              All of this talk of logos had me looking around this weekend while driving. The logo of Home Depot, Lowes, Office Max, Office Depot and other local grocery chains have their name as their logo. If these large companies don't have a fancy logo other than their name, do we??
                                                                  Iwrite Pioneer
                                                                  I think names have to be part of the logo at least. Nike, Coke, Pepsi, Starbucks, and others are logos that are names with a symbol.

I think it is a personal choice as to whether or not you add a symbol. Logos work both ways. Also notice the KFC, IHOP and FedEx have shorten their logos down from their entire names, it saved them millions in printing cost. The shift from Federal Express to FedEx was reported in major media for its cost cutting results.

Now, just because it looks simple doesn't mean that the design of the name only logos was quick and easy. The logos you mentioned carry a lot of thinking behind them. I have seen the style guides for two of these brands, and we are talking some serious thought and time. It takes skill to make simple look good - that doesn't mean it requires a lot of money. Just talent. A good designer or art director can do wonders for a business.
                                                                      puzzleman Tracker
                                                                      My understanding of the Federal Express name change had to nothing to do with printing or sign costs. What I read was that the customers were calling it FedEx for short and that is what their employees started calling it. The person who founded the company did not like the name being shortened and when in his presence everyone had to call it Federal Express. After a while the marketing department showed him studies of what everyone else was calling the company and he relented.
                                                                          Iwrite Pioneer
                                                                          I have scoured the internet and not been able to find out either way which is true for FedEx. I think there is some truth in both stories.

I'm going to respond to two post in the same reply.

Myspace does have a logo - it includes the three figures next to it, but the main part of the logo is the name itself. Facebook is also its own logo. It appears in a box on their site and if you notice the box element is repeated a couple more times on the homepage to tie it all together. Which is a great point in and of itself - logos are not the star but the supporting cast, they don't draw all the attention to themselves but help to complete the story.

This is a great discussion!
                                                                              puzzleman Tracker

When looking for a logo, I think it should be able to be repeated in different ways. Full color, balck & white and just a line drwaing. Thant way the message is re[eated but in different ways which makes it look fresh or new each time.

Another note, I would be interested in seeing the logo's of the people in this discussion with comments and thoughts about each. Any takers?
                                                                                Lighthouse24 Ranger

Regarding the FedEx discussion, they were a client -- and while I was never involved with anything directly relating to the name or logo change, I know that Mr. Smith had recognized for years that the Federal Express service was outgrowing its name, and that he definitely wanted something shorter and bolder. He was also well aware of the design challenges and costs associated with the old logo, and wanted the new brand identity to overcome those. (For example, he knew things like the size and color of the logo on an aircraft, truck, or drop box could affect the temperature inside by as much as 40 degrees.)

After a very secret, two-year process of market research, the company determined that FedEx (the nickname employees used), would in fact, really "work" in the global marketplace. More than 400 proposed logo designs were then developed, five "finalists" were selected, and more in-depth studies were done with those five to calculate in detail the cost and effectiveness of converting to and using each. The name change and new logo were announced and unveiled simultaneously, first to employees and then to the media -- and it really caught almost everyone by surprise. There are not many "secret" projects in the corporate world that stay as secret as that one did.
                                                                      bankpig Adventurer
                                                                      faceebook and myspace don't have logos....
                                                                        25trekker1 Adventurer
                                                                        A picture is worth a thousand words. Essentially, a logo is a picture. It not only describes your business, but also describes you. Satisfied and happy customers tell their friends to look for the logo. Can you think of any large businesses and corporations that do not have a logo?
                                                                          NatOnline Tracker
                                                                          Guys my logo is almost ready, I am glad to find an expert to design it. I will share with you a link so you can see and tell me what you think before it goes live.
                                                                                MnlyTechnlgy Adventurer
                                                                                NatOnline - GREAT logo! Make sure you use it on everything that you use to market your product/business/services. That way people will get used to seeing it and make the connection when they do. Thanks for sharing it ... Good luck!
                                                                                    NatOnline Tracker

Thanks for your nice comment, we will try to use it as much as we can.
                                                                                        BBMultimedia Newbie
                                                                                        Logo is a part of company's identity and not only states the name of the company, but also communicates a message. It should be simple and memorable.

Sometimes people think, that if it's just text, it's not a logo or it was not designed by a professional. On the contrary, some of the most effective logos contain just text, the other highly effective logos contain logo and a design element. Most important, you need a logo that is successful, i.e. memorable, simple, that can represent what is your business all about.

It is important for web site visitors to be able to recognize quickly what kind of business web site represents. (If they are confused they tend to leave a web site). Logo is important as it is a part of company's identity and visibility.

You do not have to pay much for a logo if you find a good professional designer who can do it for a fraction of the cost the big companies pay for their logo design.

www.busybeemultimedia.com can help you with your logo design needs.
                                                                                    Hymesdesign Adventurer
                                                                                    I like the look of your logo, I heartily approve. Like it has been said in this thread countless times, a logo is a visual representation of who your company is, and is essentially your first impression on all visitors. Not having a logo may be acceptable if you really cannot afford one, though I think even then you should be saving up for one, but if you have the money to purchase a logo, then I suggest doing so. Just having a logo ads a new dimension of professionalism to any business, and adds a level of comfort to all visitors to your site, etc. Though I do have to admit that a bad logo can be more damaging than not having one, as it ties your image to a bad concept i.e. if your logo is sloppy it says your business is sloppy etc.
                                                                                    GetNoticedUSA Newbie
                                                                                    Not only is a logo important for your website, like others have stated, it is important for your brand. Do you recognize what companies are related to specific logos or brands? ie Golden Arches, the Swoosh, etc...We provide custom logo'd apparel that gets you noticed, by your brand or logo! By wearing a garment with your logo, you get advertising wherever you eat lunch, when you are out shopping or getting gas. It is an affordable way to Get Noticed! Check out the name brands that we carry in our online catalog and contact me for more information.

Online Catalog - www.GetNoticedUSA.com

Thanks!

AL
                                                                                      FAITHLOGOS Newbie
                                                                                      MOST DEFINATELY! IT IS A PART OF YOUR COMPANY'S BRANDING! WWW.FAITHLOGOS.COM
                                                                                        Navigator
                                                                                        NatOnline--

Absolutely important to have a logo, since it instills trust. Just look at any major ecommerce site-- although there are exceptions such as Craigslist. When you're THAT big, the rules don't apply to you!

With gratitude,
                                                                                        Dennis Yu
                                                                                        http://www.blitzlocal.com
                                                                                          harmanrainu Newbie

Yes or No its up to you but according to me Your website logo will make people remember your website!Try looking for some cheap logo designers at freelancer! I also got a logo made from there have a look at Muscle Gaining Guidance