Post a new topic
    15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2011 9:51 AM by Moderator_MoniE

Bosses: What kind have you had and how has it influenced you as a Boss?

Navigator

I have to admit, I can seriously understand why some people dislike their bosses. There are some pretty arrogant, rude, and uncaring people in the world who have no real understanding about how to treat their employees. I had a few run-ins with bosses in my lifetime and those experiences shaped how I am as a "boss" in my small businesses. I tend to treat those who work for me as I would like to be treated and I do things a lot differently than some of those I worked for because of their example.

Steve Strauss has a new article out that asks you to put yourself to the test. Check out 10 Signs You Are a Bad Boss and see if you make the grade as a "Grade A Boss" or if you fall short. I'd love to hear how you fared and hear some of your ideas about what makes a good boss!!

Looking forward to your replies and discussion!

~Moni

• Re: Bosses: What kind have you had and how has it influenced you as a Boss?
          CorpCons08 Ranger

I read through the article and personally make it as a "Grade A Boss."

I too have had horrible bosses in the past. Unfortunately, I have a very strong personality and do not tolerate certain traits in these bad bosses lol. I often times would set them in their place. I remember some of the traits that bothered me most was "in it to get all they could for themselves and cared nothing about their associates," "office managers, never leaving the office except to use the bathroom," "pointing the finger but never stepping up and saying "I take responsibility for this!"," "not caring about associate's outside lives and building schedules that made working there regretable," etc. I could go on for hours about the bad, here's the good though...

To be a good boss you need to be someone who is outgoing and leads by example. This means, not giving work to an associate that you wouldn't do yourself. Taking responsibility for failures and successes, and not just pointing a finger and saying "it's their fault!" Understanding each associate is an unique individual and has different needs than the next. You should work to accomodate those needs as best as possible. Also, share in successes. Reward associates when things are going well. Don't reep the benefits and leave the associates wondering why they are working so hard.

Regards,

Dan

LUCKIEST Guide

My boss is the BEST BOSS , because he hired me

OfficeGoddess Navigator

I had a boss that would call me into their office, scream at me for 20 minutes, then I was supposed to go talk to the employee they were really upset with 'cuz the boss knew that THEY would quit otherwise but I couldn't because of my family/financial situation.  I tolerated that for over 2 years before I was able to get out of there.  Now I'm a boss and don't believe in belittling, intimidating or threatening employees.  And, if you trust them enough to hire them, you should trust them enough to do their job and do it right.  If they can't/won't, it becomes readily apparent and they get fired.  Problem solved.

Navigator

So you took the heat for the boss’s anger and got to play messenger to deliver the not so happy news to unsuspecting co-workers ... fun fun fun. It is nice that it changed you and made you more aware of how you treated others! KUDOS for you! Do you have any suggestions for others just entering the field as a new entrepreneur on what not to do or what works in the administrative field?

Thanks for posting!

~Moni

OfficeGoddess Navigator

First, I absolutely suggest that you make a list of things you hated about prior bosses and be sure you don't do any of those things.

I also suggest that before hiring employees you decide what kind of 'culture' you want in your office.  Do you prefer quiet and focused; is some employee socializing allowed as long as it doesn't get out of hand; do you have an 'open door' policy that you not only stick to but you don't use it against your employees, etc.

The biggest issue that most entrepreneurs seem to face is changing from the employee mindset to the owner mindset; taking responsibility for every facet of your business.

The final piece of advice I have is that if you trusted them enough to hire them, then trust them enough to do their job.  Don't micromanage!

Lighthouse24 Ranger

Entrepreneurs are usually highly competent at whatever it is their business does for customers. However, running a small business, leading a group of people, and managing the activities in which those people are engaged requires another set of skills entirely.

It's not a skill set that we were born with, nor one that most individuals have had the opportunity to develop. Consequently, anyone in a leadership and management role who hasn't learned those skills is destined to struggle when trying to address the unique challenges of being "the boss."

"Good" bosses have made a conscious effort to learn how to effectively lead and manage, whereas "bad" bosses haven't. Of course, really bad bosses already know everything, so they're never going to recognize the need to develop the essential skills they lack -- and will therefore only learn (maybe, eventually) through trial and error at their employees' expense.

Navigator

Excellent points/suggestions from both of you! Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and a big "welcome back" to you, Lighthouse! Nice to see you back posting again!

Regardz,

~Moni

CorpCons08 Ranger

I think it is also important that a boss take a genuine interest in their employees, and be dedicated to developing them into successful professionals. Bosses who take their employees under their wings and give them the encouragement and training they need to become successful professionals, are well respected no matter where that employees career path takes them. I have found that over my years as a boss, that I have developed many of my employees and even worked with them as they went their own ways and developed their own businesses. I am friends with these employees to this day and two of them wrote articles in which they named me as the most influential person in their lives. It has meant a great deal to me and I keep those articles framed on the wall of my office.

Regards,

Dan