Post a new topic
    18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2011 7:49 PM by Jyterz

need help in startup

skilledguy Wayfarer

hello all,i have a solid business plan done ,ive been in construction for over 15 yrs,8 of which in the carpenters union,i would like to open a store that caters to outdoor living,outdoor kitchens,custom decks,water features etc..........i have tried to get funding but have been denied due to past credit issues...........i dont want this dream to die as other outdoor companies in the area whom are friends and business contacts , all agree that im sitting on a gold mine once up in running,any help or direction would be greatly appreciated,thanks in advance paul

• Re: need help in startup
          Navigator

Is that your work in the photograph? I just wanted to take a moment to say that I think it's gorgeous! I would love to have something like that in my back yard.

~Moni

CorpCons08 Ranger

Paul,

You do some lovely work.

I would be interested in reviewing your business plan to see if I could provide some advice on getting up and running.

Let me know if you would be interested in reviewing your business plan.

Regards,

Dan

sfarigary Wayfarer

Hi Paul

Great work, I so appreciate custom designed pure craftsmanship, a dying art in the world of box stores. I am certainly of no help financially as I too was posting to fulfill a dream opportunity I had.  I think Dan seems a well educated, knowledgeable and competent from everything I have read and I would certainly get a business plan over to him.I however discovered financing a lot closer to home after casting my net into a number of arena's and I believe you may too. You quoted that a number of business colleagues and customers believe you are sitting on a "gold mine". I sat down today after much searching with a business acquaintance for an informal meeting and was surprised when I walked away with the funding I needed for a B&B in Costa Rica. I now have strong feelings that if you are well received in your community,people have faith in you and your work, you have conducted yourself with integrity, your business acquaintances and customers are your best allies. They may not have the funding however they may know someone who does and they may feel comfortable vouching for you You may feel awkward approaching them but don't, share your dreams and passion with them, ask their advise let them know that this is your goal let them be a part of your end goal. Go in with no expectations but be filled with passion, they know you, they know your work and they know you as a person of honor. These are the people who will stand behind you.

I hope this has been of some inspiration, good luck and never let a dream die without a good fight.

Take good care

Gary

www.shumbatracks.com

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
                  sbnewbie2012 Wayfarer

This can be tough, however, I agree that with your experience you cold have something here.  I say that because in this economy a lot of people are renovating their homes due to loss of value.  This allows them to tolerate staying in them.  However, more and more places are operating that allow people to lend to one another.  This allows you to utilize your experience and businessp plan to get funding.  You might search some of those.  What structure do you plan for your business, LLC or S-Corp?  Have you determined how many employees you will have and how you will deal with payroll, pricing, estimating, etc. 

In my case, I am going through my start-up phase.  I did not need much up front money for my business.  Has anyone used Paycor Atlanta?

skilledguy Wayfarer

hello sbnewbie2012,

i know im onto something big and very profitable,and i still have my construction background in renovations,custom decks etc to keep the ball rolling and to help sales coming in,as for your other questions,i will be hiring one person for office duties,one for showroom floor and phone calls,myself and one other employee in shop and site work,estimating only done by myself so i can control it,payroll,ar,ap and other admin will be done by a qualified person who has been in the construction office side of it for 12 years,i will be resonsible for construction,site visits,estimating,ensuring projects are done in a timely and safe manner,owner present on all jobs........just need the funding

skilledguy Wayfarer

hello bernadette,thanks for your interest but i must say that the business plan is to get the ball rolling and get me into a store,build all my units and have an outstanding showroom to showcase them,they will all be built on casters for mobility to trade shows and possibly rentable for large company parties etc...i know how i want to attack it ,just lacking in the funds to make it happen,im at a stand still,i need some direction to capital,thanks for everyones responses and i thank you all thus far,Paul

bernadette Wayfarer

Good to hear that, hope your business grow fast once you start it. But if ever you need our services or you know someone who need us, don't hesitate to contact me. Okay? Good luck Paul!

Navigator

Paul, If you are trying to get your work showcased in a store, have you thought to approach a Mom & Pop hardware store, a pool and patio store or small, local home improvements/interior design center to get started and get your work noticed? It is possible that a small, owner operated business that carries a similar line of products or provides a broad spectrum service might consider showcasing your work as part of the services they can provide (via contracting) and they may do this for a percentage of your profits so basically they don't get paid unless they sell your product to their customer.

Granted, it may not be your ideal situation but it would get you started, get your work out there and noticed, get you working and building and give you an avenue to begin earning money without all of the overhead of owning your own business. Once you have shown your work ethic and saved up some capital, you could eventually branch out on your own. Trees don't start out 40 feet tall ... they get there by slowly growing from a single solitary seed. Start small, grow big!

All the best!

~Moni

skilledguy Wayfarer

hello moni.....about three years ago when i started my first island at my new house,there were no fences in the subdivision yet so i thought to myself this is the perfect place to showcase my first one,so i went all out on it,coast me around 12,000 in materials,with a stamped concrete pad to house the outdoor kitchen on,it is amazing,all the houses in the new area were all around 350,000 and up..........lots of feedback.all good,got alot of decks n fences out of it ........as i became more excited in the project i decided to get tons of flyers,postcards n door knockers done up and delivered,i got a few more kitchens and lots of decks out of it,i registered a business called outdoor elements ....a new flavour in outdoor living.........it all tied in good with the cooking aspect of the kitchens .decks,patios,gas firepits and outdoor fireplaces............i then hit all the pool n patio stores with my flyers n cards.....i then set up an appt with a local bbq store where i spent another 10,000 to build a crazy outdoor kitchen in his showroom.......got a few more kitchens from that..........i have invested alot of money this far and labour which is great and this is what needs to be done to get it out there but i am at a stand still now as the funds have dried up,i dont have the resources to jump into the next phase which would be to aquire a store to showcase 4 or 5 different backyard features.......in todays market i truly believe people really   see a finished product before they purchase,and its hard to get previous clients to let future clients walk around their property.......so this being said i thought why cant i just have a store where they can come in and choose from option a,b,c or d...........different price range packages including an outdoor kitchen,a deck,patio or stamped concrete,a trellis,arbor or pergola,water features,fire pits or outdoor fireplaces,........or they can come in with a picture of the back of their house and i can upload to pc and drag whatever they like into that area and show them the finished project complete with stone choice,granite top choice,cedar deck,etc.......i can go on forever moni..............i totally agree with everything you are saying,and ive tried sooo hard.........im also missing the big part of all the home shows etc.....this is a huge business in the states,the companies that are building them are all prefab and have huge plants where they manufacture them,it hasnt hit canada yet,there are a few guys spread across the provinces that are building to clients needs but not to the extent of my ideas.........thanks again for your thoughts Moni,cheers

Kipasa Newbie

Thank You all for sharing the valuable information.

palmerstreetson Wayfarer

hello everyonre. 

You do some lovely work. thanks for valuable suggestion.

Drachsi Scout

You don't mention if you have a website or Blog.

Drachsi

Jyterz Wayfarer

Yeah, that's a great job you did.