This discussion is locked
Post a new topic
16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2011 6:04 PM by CorpCons08 RSS

Microsoft to Cease Windows XP Support in 2014

LG Networks Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Published with permission from TechAdvisory.org. Source.

• Re: Microsoft to Cease Windows XP Support in 2014
    CorpCons08 Master

I think it is important to point out that SP1 and SP2 is no longer supported. Only SP3 is supported through April 8, 2014.

CorpCons08

Craig Parker Apprentice

I saw this news the other day and thought it was a good reason to start looking for Open Source replacements to what Moulton Lumber currently runs.  XP Pro is the newest windows on anything there, and I loathe moving up to the next version; I just don't know how to fix it anymore.  I'm looking at stuff that will run on Linux, and am having quite a time of it. 

Our ERP (POS included) runs fine, so we're good there.  But window (the double hung kind you install in a house) manufacturers' quoting software all runs in Windows.  Takeoff software, something you use to create a materials list from a floor plan, seems to be the same way.

I guess I'm glad I'm starting now and not waiting until late 2013...

CorpCons08 Master

WINE!

www.winehq.org

It is an open source application for Linux that allows you to emulate Windows-based applications.

That should take care of your manufacturer's quoting software.

Regards,

Dan

Craig Parker Apprentice

I've been having no luck with that; I'm not sure what the issue is.  Most are just regular windows apps.  One was written in Java, so I was suprised when it didn't end up being cross platform to begin with (isnt't that the point of Java?) but it didn't work as just a java app in Linux or under wine.

There was also a web app written in silverlight, which I was not able to run via wine or in Linux with mono.

Moderator Jim Master

So MS never branched out to other platforms with Silverlight?

Jim

CorpCons08 Master

It won't take long before Silverlight support is streamlined on Linux.

Moonlight is a great attempt, and many smaller Silverlight applications run fine.

Since Silverlight apps based on websites run in Linux, it shouldn't be too hard to port the apps to host/run from Linux.

As far as your Java apps, you are the first person I heard that had problems running them on *nix with or without Wine.

Is there something else embedded in the applications that are causing them to fail?

Regards,

Dan

Craig Parker Apprentice

I kind of wondered why on earth MS would make a "cross platform" anything in the first place, rather than just keep shoving MS server OSes at people.  I thought I heard somewhere Silverlight's days were numbered.  Either of you?

I suspect there was some embedded monkey business in the java kitchen app, otherwise there wouldn't have been a windows and mac version to begin with.  I kind of though the whole point of java was to be able to install a jre and just go...

CorpCons08 Master

That's what I was wondering... Java is one of the easiest cross-platform solutions. Usually if you are unable to use it on another platform it is because there is some kind of code being used that relies on the OS's called API's.

I did hear Silverlight's days were numbered as well... The technology is being obsoleted already. I kind of feel bad for people who thought it was the future.

Regards,

Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...