Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2011 1:29 PM by Moderator Jim

Advice on starting own wedding flowers business

peonies Newbie

I am looking into starting my own wedding flowers business out of my home.  I have never started a business and have no idead about entrepreneurship.  Does anyone here own a flower business?  Where might I be able to get a small business grant?  I am a woman and I heard there are some programs to support minority business owners.

Thanks for your help.

• Re: Advice on starting own wedding flowers business
          LUCKIEST Guide

Families continue to commit to each other through franchise ownership

As more and more people leave the corporate grind and start their own businesses,

they are finding partners in the people they trust most: their families.

During financially uncertain times families tend to pull together for the good of the whole.

They create economic security and build retirement income.

In 2011,  expect family-centered placements to soar.

Good luck

CorpCons08 Ranger

Peonies,

There are a lot of factors to starting a new business. Before looking at small business grants, a lot of planning has to be put into your venture. I recommend speaking to a Small Business Consultant, or reviewing several of the free resources online such as SCORE. I would be happy to speak with you if you decide to look into a Small Business Consultant. I wish you the best of luck with your new venture.

Regards,

CorpCons08

Tracker

Hello Peonies,

If you are looking to get grants and help to start your small business I would suggest you check out the U.S. Small Business Administration's website.  In particular I would suggest you look the page that helps you search for grants, loans, and financing which can be found here.  As I would suggest to anyone starting a business, make sure you have a business plan written out and ready as you will likely need it to get the financing you need.

Good luck and I wish you the best in your new venture!

~Paul

dublincpa Scout

I don't want to sound like a downer, but working out of your home may present a challenge in pursuing this path. Don't be discouraged, but don't be surprised either. There are many Women Owned and Minority Owned business certifications, loans, grants etc. from which a home based business is automatically disqualified. Many such as the WBENC will do a site visit before approval.  Others may require a certain amount of time in business. I have seen from as little as six months to as long as two years.  Find out ALL of the requirements before spinning your wheels applying.  Also, be prepared to invest time in the application process.  Despite the assertions of late night infomercials, the money is not just handed out.  These things tend to require a lot of information and documentation on the owners as well as the business.

Depending on your overall financial, credit and employment situation, you may want to consider buying an existing business.  It has a whole set of risks unto itself.  If done properly , there can be a lot of upside too. 

Feel free to get in touch with me if you need specific help.  I have been through all of the above for different clients and employers.

CorpCons08 Ranger

While I can understand your reserves behind starting a new business out of the home, there is a lot of reasons why this would be a good starting place. 1) It would give her a chance to see if her products peak any interest. If there is no interest, investing a ton of money in store-fronts, etc., may ruin her chances at making this a successful business venture. 2) Less liability and risk with many types of home based businesses. My recommendation is for her to keep thinking about starting out in the home first, and moving on from there.

CorpCons08

Moderator Jim Ranger

Thanks to everyone for the information! Great stuff here!

Jim