Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 8:26 PM by bm911tax

tax return

howdie2u Newbie

I received 2 invoices from my (former) business accountant for preparing my person tax return last year.  The cheaper invoice was sent to my personal e-mail address with my return in April.  The more expensive one (for preparing the SAME return) was originally sent to my former business and just now e-mailed to me.  I overlooked paying the April invoice and had no contact with the accountant until now.....no past due notices, no reminders.  I paid the cheaper invoice.  He wants the balance.  (Wants the higher amount.)  Do I have to pay the higher amount for the same service?

• Re: tax return
          LUCKIEST Guide

YES

howdie2u Newbie

Why am I obligated to pay the higher amount for the same service?  I had told him I was no longer working there and to send the return and the invoice to my personal e-mail address.  I think I should only have to pay that invoice and not the one sent to my former office.  (That invoice was actually for preparing 3 returns so the acct. wants 1/3 of that invoice which is almost 50% more than the other invoice I was sent.)

bm911tax Adventurer

There is usually a good explanations as to why you have difference in pricing.  Many times a secretary can make a mistake.  Why don't you ask your accountant to explain to you the difference and then you can ask him to explain if he charges per hour or per return.  Usually these things are discussed beforehand, so if you didn't agree to anything or you were told otherwise, I am not sure how your accountant can substantiate his claim for charging higher amount.