Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2008 8:50 PM by Trlla_07

Web designer vs business contracts

Trlla_07 Newbie
      I'm contracting out my services to a small company as a contractor. Do I need to set up a contract with them or should I not use my contract and use their contract that they are putting me under? Or do we both use our contracts on each other and negotiate?
        • Re: Web designer vs business contracts
          LUCKIEST Guide
          07, welcome to this web site. business contract??
          Tell us more?? how long have you been in business?? Do you have a business name??
          How about a Federal I D Number?? Do you have an Accountant??, A Lawyer??
          The more you share with us, the better we can answer your questions.
          LUCKIEST
            Lighthouse24 Ranger

It's normally the contractor providing the product or service (you, in this case) who asks the client (them) to sign a contract -- so it would be your contract. There are occasions, however, where large companies and government agencies that use a lot of contractors will have their own standardized agreement for certain functions. Hope this helps. Best wishes.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Trlla_07 Newbie

That really helped a lot! Does it matter if the company is in another state? He is providing his clients for our services.
                    Lighthouse24 Ranger

Just to be sure I understand -- Rather than you being a contractor for a client, you are a subcontractor performing work for a primary contractor that will benefit the primary contractor's clients. (For example, like when an ad agency creates a new campaign for one of its corporate clients, and subcontracts the web design portion of that campaign to you.) Is that right? If so, the contractor with whom you are dealing will almost surely have a standardized agreement like I mentioned in my previous post. It will be a "boilerplate" type contract that spells out all the terms and conditions that they expect you (and all their other subs) to adhere to, and it will have appropriate paragraphs to specify the services and deliverables you'll provide and the fees you'll be paid. Unless state licensing requirements or state taxable professional services are involved in the work you're performing, I can't think of a reason why being in different states would impact the specific terms of the contract. Does that clear things up (or make them more confusing)?
                        Trlla_07 Newbie
                        I'm sorry I haven't replied in a while, just had to get the home situated. Also I recieved the contract and I'm not finished reading it yet, but as much as I have read it sounds just like what you were specifying. I thank you for your information it was very much needed and valued and if I have any more questions then I will post under this topic again. Thanks Lighthouse24!!