Post a new topic
    17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2008 6:04 PM by Y Golf

Golf for Business

Y Golf Wayfarer
      Hello All,
      Does anyone us golf as a method to meet new business clients or nurture existing business relationships?

What you wear on the course can tell a potential client a lot about you and your business?

Yooto'pea Golf

www.greatgolfdialogue.blogspot.com
        • Re: Golf for Business
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Golf is big Business. YES golf is a method to meet new business clients and nurture existing business
          relationships. So where are you going with this. Tell us more.
          LUCKIEST
            Y Golf Wayfarer
            Hello Luckiest,
            The goal is to see how many small business owners are maximizing the opportunities to meet and cultivate business relationship on the golf course. I plan on providing them guidance on arranging the outing and do's and don'ts on the course. The A-Z on maximizing the time.
            Hope this helps,
            Y Golf

The 2008 golf line will be unveiled on April 14, 2008 "Monday After the Masters" www.yootopea.com

greatgolfdialogue.blogspot.com to vote on who is BEST GOLFER OF ALL TIME
              Lighthouse24 Ranger

I learned to play golf very late in life, and the only reason I took it up was because I kept being invited to speak at business functions and facilitate retreats that were being held at golf resorts. There is often a half-day set aside for a golf event at these types of meetings, and participating in these has helped me to strengthen some existing business relationships.

I use sailing (my favorite hobby) as a background activity to get a creative team together to brainstorm -- but I use golf for that, as well (golf courses are everywhere, sailboats aren't).

As far as using golf to win new clients or new business from existing clients, I don't -- too time-consuming. It takes 4 to 5 hours to play 18 holes and I'd only have extended contact with one other person that whole time (my cart partner). There are a lot more efficient ways to grow and expand my business.

As far as attire, I wear the requisite logo golf shirt (either my firm's, or one provided by the client or event).

Good luck with your new enterprise!
                  Y Golf Wayfarer
                  Hey Lighthouse. I agree that 18 holes of golf can take awhile 4-5 hours but in those hours you can determine a lot about a person character, temperment and problem solving. One alternative to playing 18 holes is to play 9 holes early in the morning, doing this you can determine if a client is punctual and detail oriented, or a relaxing 9 holes in the evening. Usually the evening 9 holes are used to close deals with new clients or really learn more about a person or business once they are relaxed. Another nice alternative is to invite a new or existing client to the driving range for a little practice and lunch. Golfers always love to practice and just like you business owners are always busy. Another thing to remember is to get their early and have everything paid for, down to the water/sports drink.
                  Just My Thoughts Y Golf. www.yootopea.com www.greatgolfdialogue.blogspot.com 2008 line to be unveiled 4/15/08 "Monday After The Masters"
                  Ed O'Gee Adventurer
                  As a sales professional, half my life is spend on the golf course. I agree with Y Golf, 3-4 hours of golfing you can get to know a person, better yet you can get a client to know and trust you.

I don't think any other activity bonds business professionals more.
                      Lighthouse24 Ranger

Good points, Ed and Y. Now that I think about it, every round of golf I've played within 50 miles of home the past few years has been at the invitation of a vendor rep or salesperson -- so while it may not be an effective way for me to get a client, it can be an effective way to get me as a client!
                      Ed O'Gee Adventurer
                      Hey Yootopea,

Something funny I just realized, I have on of your shirts. My brother in law runs a small take out restaurant in Northern Baltimore. We golfed in Hunt Valley over the summer and I gave me one of your shirts. Nice quality.
                        QMoney Newbie
                        You can learn a lot about your customer, partner or prospect by how they play the game! Golf is so much more than just hitting the ball. Spending 4 to 5 hours on a course getting insight into how they respond to pressure and adverse situations is worth more than the green fees. Engage in observation on the course and you'll see why those who use it as a tool, not just a game, are WISE!
                            Y Golf Wayfarer
                            Hey Q Money. I agree 100% with your assessment. When playing with potential clients, partners, etc. it is very important to observe their temperment, problem solving skills and how comfortable they are socially. When I play with friends the round is more relaxed. Before heading out to play 18 or 9 holes we must remind ourselves what is the goal for this round of golf? The practice putting green is sometimes a place to set priorities for the day.
                            Uncle Leon Tracker
                            I don't play golf. I tried it once and got a score of 92. I was so discouraged, I never played again.

I knew if I tried to play again I'd probably do just a poorly on the second hole. (;>)
                                Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                Hey Leon, the number of strokes on your first hole doesn't matter -- the real question is did you ever have to go back to the pro shop and buy more balls? If you connected well enough to lose a few, you'd have been playing as good as half my friends by the back nine!
                                  Y Golf Wayfarer
                                  Hey Uncle Leon. Don't get discouraged because golf is challenging. One thing I like to do with individuals who are new to the game or with groups to have a fun relaxing day is play from 150 yards to the hole. There are usually markers on the course to inform you of the distance. Doing this takes the fear of playing long holes and having to hit drives from the tee box with all eyes on the group. One really nice advantage of doing this is the time to talk with friends or future business partners while we wait for the greens to clear. Also the group can really take in the scenery of the course, some of the most spectacular views are from the golf course.
                                  Give the "150 yards In" outing a try and I am sure it will be fun for all. Let me know how it goes. www.greatgolfdialogue.blogspot.com
                                      Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                      Good idea, Y Golf. My favorite option when you have less-skilled golfers is scramble play (best ball). It gives the foursome a common goal to work toward, puts everyone together more frequently, and speeds up the game (and avoids embarrassment) by not forcing the least skilled person to continually play out of the most challenging situations. Even so, it leaves in the main elements of competition (to make the shot you're trying to make and have the best ball) -- only in this case, it's not just to benefit yourself, but the whole "team."
                                        Uncle Leon Tracker
                                        One thing I like to do with individuals who are new to the game or with groups to have a fun relaxing day is play from 150 yards to the hole.One thing I like to do with individuals who are new to the game or with groups to have a fun relaxing day is play from 150 yards to the hole.

When I tried to play, I was always 150 yards from the hole. After 10-12 strokes...Yep...still 150 yards from the hole.....and it was only a 135 yard hole. (;>)

I had a orangatan with very long arms that could hit a drive 320 yds straight down the fairway, every time. Unfortunately, he putted the same way. Snicker, snicker
                                      Y Golf Wayfarer
                                      Hello All,
                                      What creative ways have you all tried to incorporate golf in your marketing plans?
                                      Y Golf