Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 13, 2011 11:17 AM by LUCKIEST

When Disaster Strikes: Being prepared from the onset

Navigator

The height of hurricane season is upon us in some areas, tornadoes in other parts of the country and honestly, the weather has been so unpredictable lately, who knows what natural disasters could strike where. Preparing your business to pick back up after a potentially devastating natural disaster is an often times forgotten part of building that business but one that should be considered from the onset. The fact is, it is much easier to do something from the beginning than to try to go back much later and tackle what may now be an overwhelming and daunting task of backing up files and creating an offsite set of documentation to fall back on in the event you lose all of your businesses documentation in a hurricane or tornado. Columnist and Small Business Expert Steve Strauss has put together an article with some very pertinent information regarding disaster preparation that I suggest you read.

It has really made me think that, in the event of a flood, tornado or especially a house fire, I would lose all of the data for not only one, but TWO home-based businesses as well as all of my photos and other personal items that I hold dear to me. I knew my entire life was on my hard drive but I never once considered that it could be lost to anything more than hard drive failure, so I got an external hard drive. I now realize that that just isn't enough. What steps do you have in place should your business fall prey to some sort of disaster? Would you have enough documentation left to pick up and go on or would you find your business decimated beyond repair? Have you been in this position and, if so, what did you do? Let's get a good discussion going here ... I would love to hear your stories and thoughts.

Regardz,

~Moni

• Re: When Disaster Strikes: Being prepared from the onset
          LUCKIEST Guide

Good read. Getting back to business after a disaster depends on preparedness planning done today.

Small business owners invest a tremendous amount of time, money and resources to make their ventures successful,

and yet, while the importance of emergency planning may seem self-evident, it may get put on the back-burner.

For small business owners, being prepared can mean staying in business following a disaster.

An estimated 25 percent of businesses do not reopen following a major disaster.