Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2011 3:35 AM by Dan Burney

Will a website developer; develope website in exchange for % of ownerhsip?

Dan Burney Wayfarer

Hello to all,

My name is. I am a 100% service connected disabled Veteran. I decided to start a website approx. 3 years ago. First I worked for a solid year finding a website that was in need, had potential of at least 1 million clients, A site where my military connections and advantages contribute greatly to making the site a success, and also one that was not already serving my type of client. I have met all of the above criteria and believe that my site will become a house hold name, also I firmly believe that within 1 month I could have over 100k  people signed up to my site. The design of my site will require a format similar to Harmony.com, my question is to the developers out there, If you knew you would be paid by owning a % of the business for designing the business, and you knew the business had the potential income of over 1 million a month would you take the time to do the development work? I was quoted by a site developer 6-8k to develop what I wanted, of course I am not educated on programming thus have no idea the work it would require so I do not know the true value of building this site, but I am willing to give up a % of my site's revenue to the developer, Does this ever happen? I do not want to put my business plan out there for someone to steal and make their own, I already own the domain name which is the best, short and directed. but someone could take my idea and a similar site name and would surely be success. Last question is how do I protect my website and all of the time I have put into the business plan when discussing this with a potential developer/partner and know they will not steal it once I tell them?

Thank you all in advance,

Warm regards,

Dan Burney

• Re: Will a website developer; develope website in exchange for % of ownerhsip?
          howdoyou Wayfarer

I am a website developer, and if the idea is solid i would be more than happy to develop the website for a percentage of ownership

• Re: Will a website developer; develope website in exchange for % of ownerhsip?
              Navigator

Hi Shane! We appreciate your response to Dan, however, last September, we posted the following thread advising members of some changes regarding the posting of Personally Identifying Information.  Personal Info about you & others In December, we upgraded the community and advised we would have better options for the profile.  If you haven't done so, I do hope that you take a look around and consider inserting your contact information into your profile rather than putting it directly into the post.

While we don't have an issue with the posting of, say. your website URL in your signature, we do not allow email addresses to be posted.  It is very easy now to link to your profile where you can set privacy preferences to determine if a user can see your contact information or not.

You could very easily create a signature that looks something like this:

View my profile for full contact information.

This gives the user the option to view your profile and additional information you may have shared without having it in a post within the community where it could be exposed to external phishing mechanisms.

We are asking that you don't post your personal information, email address or any other means a member may use to contact you within a post.  We also ask that you utilize your profile for all means of contact.  The user is able to see whatever information you deem necessary including and not limited to, how to contact you via email, telephone and website.

Thanks so much and we look forward to seeing more from you in the future!

~Moni

Dan Burney Wayfarer

Hello Shane, check out my response to you, it's the second reply down from your addressed to Shane. I replied to the moderator instead of you.

phanio Pioneer

Why not learn to do this yourself.  It will save you time and money.  I am 80% service connected and taught myself how to program html, php and mysql.  It is really easy to learn and if you use programs like Dreamweaver or Drupal - these programs do most of the work for you.

In the beginning, I bought a program application and book to go with it and just started to play with it.

Regarding your question - you just have to ask.  Find a couple of designers you want to work with and ask them up front.

Dan Burney Wayfarer

Phanio, I thank you for your service first off. I am very business oriented. I have a lot of experience in building startups but this is my first venture into the interenet world. I have tried one of the buy now build your own website programs for 299.00 and it did not have the capability to handle the database, and do the connection networking that is needed or I just could not figure out how to do it. I will make some Developer a multi-millionaire possible billionaire, But I must find the best. Thank you for the advise, I really wish I could develop it my self but it is just to big and complicated to a man of my programming knowledge.