Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 4:24 PM by souffle

New Article: Being the Boss - 5 Tips for Women Entrepreneurs

Navigator

Our SBOC Team posted an informative new article with a few tips about "being the boss" entitled Being the Boss: 5 Tips for Women Entrepreneurs. Primarily directed toward female entrepreneurs, the article gives insight that can also benefit the male employers. Advice about not sticking to stereotypical roles, casting a wider net via business networks, reframing your thinking,  leading by example and resolving conflicts are to the point and touch on key areas of business. So ladies (and gentlemen), give this article a quick look and then tell us your thoughts, tips and ideas about being the Boss!

~Moni

• Re: New Article: Being the Boss - 5 Tips for Women Entrepreneurs
          LUCKIEST Guide

Good post. Here are a few more tips

Many women business owners will tell you, the road to success for women often involves its own unique set of curves

Start a business that works for you and fits with your personal life.

Don't sweat the bureaucracy. 

For businesses with moderate to significant overhead, it is crucial to start the business with adequate funds.

If you need start-up or expansion financing, consider sources other than traditional banks.  

Network like a social butterfly

Forge relationships with contacts before you need help from them.

Navigator

Good points, Luckiest Thanks for your contribution! Was there a pun intended in your first tip re: curves? LOL

I especially love the last two tips. Building a reliable contact list before you need it is a definite plus!

I do hope other community members jump in! This could be a really interesting discussion!

~Moni

LadyRiderAZ Newbie

I got tired of the 8 - 5 (or 8 am to 10 pm and weekends included in my case) rat race and when the economy took a tank I found out pretty quickly that I had several things working against me ever being hired at the level I was used to.  My age, I am 53, my level of education and work history automatically made nearly every interviewer say "well, you are over qualified" (ok then why bother to call me in, was always my first thought) or "we can't afford you" (um when did you gain the ability to read my mind on how much I would work for???) and on and on and on with every excuse in the book on why I wasn't going to be hired, again, prompting my thoughts of "well then why bother to call me in for an interview?".  I actually had one guy sit there for the first ten minutes going point by point down my resume saying "well you don't have this, or that or this doesn't look good" When I finally had enough I asked him if he wanted me to make a 52 mile drive in rush hour traffic in Phoenix AZ to just trash my resume??? At which point I promptly ended the interview and wished him all the luck in the world.  While really muttering dirty names under my breath on the way to my car!

Soooo. As you can see I am not a shrinking violet here, and I am sure that is part of my problem, especially in this economy when there are so many YES people who aren’t aggressive by personality to choose from.  (In my mind, choosing a non aggressive person can sometimes mean choosing someone who is never going to go beyond the scope of the job description)   First I was depressed, then despondent and almost gave up for 3 or 4 months then I got mad as well as determined to get my life and career back on track. 

I started a website and put my name out there as an accountant with over 600 of my personal contacts that I know, and yes I know them all personally, some better than others but I meet a lot of people in my community.  I am a motorcycle rider (female) and I have finally found my niche for my accounting business.  I am a full service accounting firm but I cater to mostly motorcycle related businesses. My businesses include repair shops and retail shops that sell various riding equipment and clothing to bikers.

Once I got out of the mindset that I HAD to be working in a 9 – 5 corporate type job as I had for over 30 years I suddenly find myself with more work then I know what to do with most weeks.  Instead of working 60 hours a week for little or no appreciation (which usually included another 10 – 15 hours in traffic) I normally work 30 hours a week (a lot of it remotely from my own home once I download information and files from the internet) but I make nearly as much as I did with the big corporations.  Best of all?  I go to work in jeans and tank tops on the days I ride my bike and in shorts and flip flops on the days I take the car.  I know the customer base, most days I prefer to work from home, if I go in house to my clients then I usually have a lot of interruptions with friends of mine stopping in my office to talk, and most of all I love being able to pick and choose my clients, I love being able to get up and if I want a day to myself and not work, then I don’t.  Most of my clients are flexible enough that they know they will see me when they see me but they also know when push comes to shove that their books are all in good hands, they will get their reports on time and they love paying a weeks salary for a months worth of work. 

Will I ever give up being my own boss and go back to the corporate world?  HIGHLY unlikely!

It took 6 months to get my client base to the point that it replaced my old traditional income and it took a lot of networking to make it happen but I am soooo glad that I finally got out of my comfort zone of business suits and high heels and briefcases and went to blue jeans and motorcycles. 

souffle Newbie

For me the hardest part of starting a business is pulling my head out of the corporate buttercup called wages.  Despite inherent desire and ambition wages and fear due to lack of knowledge was what made me believe that I had to work for someone else rather than use my own gifts to make money for myself.

The traditional mentality and certainly education system taught me to rely on others for my financial needs.  So slowly I had to unlearn having great ideas and putting them to work for myself.  I instead had to learn to come up with ideas to make large corporations money and then sign something called intellectual property in the end which removed my rights to all that was mine.   I never actually got paid for any of the ideas and leads, tradenames, mission statements, methodologies, or systems that I created.  without realizing it I invested my entire life's work into the businesses and financial stability of others.

I now realize that my creative fruits have been juiced. 

Fortunately, while I am fifty two I have not given up and I believe that I have quite a few fruits left on my tree of ideas.  But I can understand how so many people feel that if they aren't working for someone then they are lost.  Inadvertently and to a degree by design that's the way the system wants people to think otherwise there'd by no one to use for their livelihoods and financial success.   Instead, we would all be taught to be entrepreneurs not financial dependents.  We would be given the opportunity to work as independent contractors not hourly or salaried employees who can be dumped at anytime.

The hardest part for me is finances as I have spent my entire life's wages on owning a piece of the American Dream (home) which is now worthless.  But even that won't stop me.   I am inspired by the stories out here.  I think that change starts with seeing things from a different perspective.  One that is empowering and independent not dependent and indentured.