Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 2:45 AM by myinnet

Doing business with China companies regarding payment options for products

ruthsg Wayfarer

I have been researching a variety of products I wish to sell here in the USA from companies in China. Many of them request T/T, Western Union and very few Paypal. This makes me nervous as to how I have any recourse whatsoever if I in essence give someone cash. At least with Paypal I can go back to try to get my money back if there is a problem. I've been told to be sure the company is registered in China and I do ask for papers to find legitimate ones but my big concern is the form of payment in which they ask. To me this is a red flag in business!

I would appreciate advise from anyone who has done business or is doing business with anyone in China.

Thanks!

• Re: Doing buisness with China companies regarding payment options for products
          LUCKIEST Guide

Who are you??  How soon do you plan on starting this business with China??

Go to " profile" and share some info

Thanks

• Re: Doing buisness with China companies regarding payment options for products
              ruthsg Wayfarer

Sorry, I haven't spent time filling out my profile. I am a business owner looking to do business with Chinese companies and am finding they all want Western Union or Bank Transfer for payment. I found that odd and leaving me with no recourse to recoup monies if I have problems with their product or if they are fraudulent. If you can answer my question great, if not fine too. Maybe someone else can.

singsai Wayfarer

I'm a chinese and I'm a clothing manufacturer in china now.

Ruthsg, could you replace your position to Chinese vendor? Then you will understand why they request payment throuhg Western Union or T/T. They also afraid you will get back money after you receive production if throught paypal.

Most Chinese vendor are seriouse to do business with oversea client, that's why allover the world fillwith 'MADE IN CHINA'. They won't abandon chance to do business with you in long term to gain big profit instead of cheating you small moeny in one time.

Of course, I can not guarantee no cheater in China, I think every country has, even in USA / UK and so on. So, before you do business with oversea vendor, do check their profile carefully, the better way is ask your friend to check for you if he/she is just right in that country. If no friend and your business amount is big, you'd better hire third party to check for you.

That's my opinion.

Good luck.  

grace Newbie

Which kind of business you do with Chinese? Would your products need to be tested? If you need, pls contact me. Skype: grace.fang3

Tracker

Hello Ruthsg,

As Singsai said, there are fraudulent people around the world and it's best to research the people you want to work with before buying from them.  I know in the United States and Canada we have the Better Business Bureau which is a great tool to use when checking into companies.  I don't know if they have something like that in China but it's worth looking for something similar.  Also, ask other people in your line of business, see who they work with.  They may be more then willing to point you to some people they know are honest.

I believe PayPal is always a good choice for payments, I also think that Western Union is willing to work with you if you ever pay a fraudulent company.  They have information on that here

Lastly, if you really can not find anyone in the geographical location you are looking at, do you have to buy from that area?  I'm sure many places around the world would love to have your business, don't limit your search to just one company.

Hope this helps,

~Paul

• Re: Doing business with China companies regarding payment options for products
                    ruthsg Wayfarer

Hi! Allow to reply to all at this point as I have had much time since posting this and found my answers.

A) There are many fraudulent companies in China unfortunately or at least enough folks have been taken. The use of Western Union or T/T is an unsafe to do business as it is dealing in cash and no Western Union clearly states to be sure you know the person you are sending money to. They will NOT help you get it back if there is a problem. There is actually a website that deals with much of this isssue.

B) It's not about one particular product and believe me I am not one to put my eggs in one basket but my search keeps taking me to China despite they are not truly the correct source for my needs but are some. I have found but only a couple who will take Paypal and Credit Cards. Paypal as a third party helps both buyer and seller and is safe. If a company stops using Paypal because the buyer gets their money back I believe more so the reason is due to poor quality or falsified information about the product after it arrives. There have been too many cases I have read over and over of sending money to Chinese businesses and getting either nothing or garbage. It does take long hours to find legitimate companies.

C) Bottom line is if a company you deal with no matter what countr accepts paypal or credit cards then you are dealing with a company who will back up what they say! As for large shipments and agreements made by a huge corporation here in the USA and a manufacturer may be very different on payment arrangements but this is not what i'm dealing with. This is all in regards to smaller quantities for resale.

Thank you all for your reply.