Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 3, 2011 9:43 AM by Moderator_MoniE

Volunteering is good for business

LUCKIEST Guide

Every Tuesday volunteers serve more than 100 Chicago homeless people with food from fine dining restuarants -- all with dignity and grace.

Here they are not faceless and referred to as "Guests," and sometimes even as "Artists:"

For the last eight years, some of them have received inexpensive disposable cameras and have gone about the adventure of capturing their lives.

This work culminates with a one-night-only exhibition, "After Supper: Visions of My Life." The photos sell for $100, with $75 of that going to the photographers,

some of whom have used the money to buy their own cameras. And perhaps most importantly, as the founders of this project say, "They are proud of their work. They share their joy

They are the city's faceless people, the sort you look away from as you pass them on the sidewalk.

They are people (men, women and a few children) hit by hard times and battered by life's wicked curves.

Many of them are without jobs or homes or, in some cases, hopes.

Needing a square meal, some of them come on Tuesday nights to the Catholic Charities St. Vincent Center at 721 N. LaSalle St., filling 130 seats at 13 tables

and partaking of food provided by such fine-dining spots as Keefer's, Rosebud, Tavern on the Park, the Kerryman and 312 Chicago, and served by volunteers.

• Re: Volunteering is good for business
          Navigator

Luckiest: I like the concept you bring up here. The visual I got from the words really touched my heart. BUT ... I have some questions for you if you don't mind.

The story is a nice one however, I am left wondering how this ties into your title? How is volunteering good for business? What benefits might a business owner expect to receive in return for volunteering their time and resources to a worthy cause? Should one contact their accountant or lawyer before becoming involved in a volunteer situation?

I feel like you offered me a 5 course meal and then stopped serving after the appetizers. Could you please elaborate on this interesting concept?

Also, on a side note, when copying and pasting content from other websites, please link to the entire article, or at least give the Daily Good and The Chicago Tribune a mention so that credit can be given where it's due and members can know where they might be able find more information. Actually it's preferred that you summarize the article in your own words so that plagiarism doesn't become an issue however, directly quoting a few lines isn't usually a problem.

I volunteer a lot and I have offered quite a bit of help for the homeless in my area. Being charitable is a great feeling but I'm not sure it is beneficial to all businesses. I personally feel that a business must be within a certain financially stable bracket before beginning such an endeavour.

I would love to hear how other community members feel about volunteering, if their small businesses do charitable deeds and what type of charity assistance they offer.

Cheers!

~Moni