Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 3:06 AM by wordperfect

Technology Upgrades

Tracker

In this day and age, technology is advancing at an ever quickening pace.  Your software you buy today could be outdated within six months.  As small business owners I would guess it's harder to pay to update your software and hardware as often as it comes out so my question is, is it worth the cost to keep perfectly up to date or do you prefer to update every few years?

• Re: Technology Upgrades
          LUCKIEST Guide

Great question. Updating software is very personal.

Like owning or leasing a car. Some people want a new car every year, or every three years.

It is another business decision.

Moderator Jim Ranger

Windows 8 is set to come out next year promising a new upgrade cycle for businesses. Will it be the final nail in the coffin for those busineses who are holding on to Windows XP?

wordperfect Scout

Hehehe, is this a private Mod to Mod chat or can anyone join!

Seems like biz is a bit slow!

Anyway, no, i think maybe not.

I am still "holding on" to Win 2003 Server, it does all I want, is efficient and stable so why change?

I tend to subscribe to the " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory, why waste money?

Moderator_PaulR

As LUCKY said, it is a business decision, if a basic app is functioning well, i stick with it, but if it is design, research or analysis soft and it is more effective than what I am using, then I will consider an upgrade.

But the results have to be worth the economic expenditure, just as in any business purchase.

Having said that I run a large % of Open Source stuff.............. which is free anyway!

Also look at the hated IE 6.

As a browser, it is old, circa 2000, insecure and doesn't display web sites well unless the designer creates a separate CSS or spends time "making IE6 work."

Since then we have had Opera, Safari, Chrome, Firefox as well as 2 upgrades to IE not to mention the various HATE IE campaigns that have been run over the years.

Yet it still persits and over 20% of my visitors use it.

Why?

Because I suspect because many are in large corporations where their tech infrastructure needs to be replaced to upgrade which probably isn't cost effective to management.

Back to the IF it ain broke .. theory.

So I am not certain the issue is one of a small business owner languishing over the costs.

I guess too it is a bit like a cell phone or ?????????????

Some people just need to have the latest and best, early adapters, others are happy to take a wait and see approach, so a personal trait thing is in play here too.

@anyone

Why do I keep getting a "  Java Script   " error pop up every 30 seconds [ i timed them] it is very annoying and composing a post extremely difficult.

It is only on this site!

This is attempt two, when ever I try to "add reply " button am told I am not logged in, sign in again, then I lose my post.

Reply to Moderator_JimF

Use advanced editor

You are no longer logged in. Please sign in to continue.

Third time.

Fourth

Fifth

sixth

Tracker

No, it's not a moderator only discussion, all are welcome to join in.

As to the errors you are receiving, the not logged in one you might want to check to see if either you are allowing cookies or if a program was running in the background that deletes them.  As for the javascript error I've tested this on Chrome 12.0.742.112, Firefox 4.0 and 5.0  and Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421 on windows 7 as well as Chrome on Windows Vista without issue.  What browser and Operating system are you using to access the site?

~Paul

wordperfect Scout

Thanks for your feedback Paul.

I am still "Hanging on to"  Win 2003 Server Ent, with Opera as default, latest version.

I have all the current browsers for windows for testing so eventually I entered and posted using Chrome, I think.

But, interestingly, I have used my default setting from day one, with no issues, which you can see was several posts ago.

Oh BTW, I was just kidding about the privacy thing!

Truly.

Message was edited by: wordperfect