Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2008 12:50 PM by LUCKIEST

Certification process

phloyd Newbie
      Currently investigating have my janitorial company certified as green. As a marketing tool, before it becomes necessary in order to get larger jobs. When i read the steps they asked for in the jargon that i have written processes on how to clean a building, have my employees trained in it and keep track of it. Now, has anyone in the site ever done any of these steps for their business? Seems a "technical writer "woulkd be able to draw something up for me. Am i correct? And how detailed were you when you did this? Last , but not least is it worth it? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
        • Re: Certification process
          Lighthouse24 Ranger
          Where are you located, and from what specific entity or agency are you seeking this certification? The answers to your questions (especially the "Is it worth it?" one) will really depend on those things. Please provide a little more info. Thanks.
              phloyd Newbie
              The entity is called Green Seal. It is a non- profit that i got off a google search. They gave me a large list of items that i have to conform with. Being that i am the essence of small business, i do not have someone on staff to write all the processes they require. It would take another person who is familiar with the writing of these to do. IMHO. Currently we have large buildings under contract but i can see it coming the "green wave" and i want to be prepared. If you need more the web site greenseal.org and it is under comm. cleaning certification.
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger
                  I asked where you were located because a few states and local jurisdictions give more credence to Green Seal than most. Unless you were a large firm in one of those areas, I'd wait awhile to pursue this certification. The reason is because it will cost you quite a lot to comply with Green Seal's GS-42 standards (and I'm telling you that from experience helping clients pursue these types of certifications). You'll not only need some help and expertise in preparing the application, but also in the development of formal cleaning plans, and the development and completion of required training for your staff and building occupants. In addition, you'll spend considerable time and money on the mandatory Green Seal audits, reviews/updates, and annual renewal fees. Plus, you'll need committed and cooperative clients who will allow site visits and audits in order to attain and maintain your certification.

My thought is that when you have clients for whom you know this is important, then you can apply. In the meantime, you can legitimately promote your use of GS-37 certified cleaners (which will appeal to clients who may be ahead of the curve in their awareness of the Green Seal program).

Most commercial building managers are reluctant to endorse or require any specific Type I "seal-of-approval" eco-label program like Green Seal because the criteria used to certify eligible products and services are not always based on science, but rather on political compromises (after all, there is no absolute standard or methodology for determining what is "best" for the environment across an entire product or service spectrum). Therefore, I don't think you'd gain or lose much business in the near term either way by waiting.

When/if you do decide to pursue it, feel free to ask any specific questions that may help you in the process. Best wishes.
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      phloyd Newbie
                      Oh sorry about that. We are located in the Washington, DC metro area. The home of PC climate change ideas. Your idea is good i will probaly use that as there is no way i can afford to folllow these processes.
                      Thanks.
                          Lighthouse24 Ranger

In that there are other Type I eco-label programs besides Green Seal (and probably more in the works by other non-profits), I don't think the federal government will jump on any one bandwagon too soon and mandate that federal contractors be Green Seal certified. Since many commercial firms (especially inside the beltway) are exactly that, I also can't foresee that this certification will become a mandatory requirement that would keep you from bidding on a job in the near future.

As you indicated, you're in the right place to keep a thumb on the pulse and see what develops a year from now. Also, you can continue to ask existing and new clients if they know or care about the Green Seal program, and if they'd want to serve as an "audit" site if/when you do apply.
                    LUCKIEST Guide
                    Turn to SCORE. SCORE is FREE and you can go on line and write to a SCORE Counselor
                    who might just know about going GREEN.
                    Good luck, LUCKIEST
                      LUCKIEST Guide
                      Certification process going Green. Go to Members page and add a few words about your business.
                      LUCKIEST