Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2012 10:00 PM by Jeri Quinn

Unhappy Workers

LUCKIEST Guide

An article in today's Wall Street Journal (Mon, June 20) says that Americans may be increasing unhappy with their bjobs.

But for those lucky enough to be employed, they seem reluctant to quit.

You thoughts or ideas??

• Re: Unhappy Workers
          Moderator Jim Ranger

I can see why they may be reluctant. Time after time there are news reports of those that are hiring won't hire you unless you're currently employed somewhere else. So the days of "I can do better than this, I quit!" are over. While the economy is getting better, people are willing to put up bad conditions unless they have something new lined up.

Kacie Parker Adventurer

I do think a lot of Americans are unhappy with their current jobs, but just like what the last reply said, they can't easily quit because of the bad economy. This mindset needs to be changed. If you look at budding companies in Silicon Valley, most of their founders were, at one point, unhappy with their jobs. They did something about it, and they ended up being successful. I think everybody has a choice to be happy. We just need to find out what we love and what we are good at and think of how we can make a living out of it.

Clear Presence Media Scout

The job marketing is in disarray, and the Government is becoming too unstable for people to confidently take on risk. That results in a desparate group of employees and a reprehensive (and smaller) group of employers. Tough times indeed.

Hope this helps!

Sophia_Myles Tracker

Not easy to find a job these days and most people took a job because they need to make a living, not because they're interested in the career. I guess that's why they are not happy.

Joseph T. McCrory Wayfarer

I believe people control whether they are happy or not.  We all have rough days, uneasy times, and difficult situations in our lives, but it is how we handle and manage these impediments that determine our outlook on life.  Think of someone going through a difficult time in their life, be it cancer, death of a loved one, etc. and visualize how well many handle those situations. If they can do it, I believe someone can do it when it comes to a difficult day or job move.

I recommend focusing on and/or identifying the positive in each situation.  While it may be difficult, it can be done.  Create a personal emotional bank account you can draw from when times are tough.  Look at letters of recommendation, positive customer experience notes, and personal accolades to push you through the tough times.  No one else controls your destiny but you.  If you are not happy, create happiness - don't complain about it, unless you are ready to do something about it.

SBC Team Guide

Very well said, Joseph!  Appreciate you sharing those words of wisdom with us. 

The SBOC Team.

Jeri Quinn Adventurer

Here's what I've learned through experience about employees in the multiple small businesses I've had.

Lots of people quit their jobs. Some quit and leave. Some quit and stay. They become 9-to5'ers, not engaged, not giving more than what is required. Some studies suggest that as much as 2/3 of the workforce is disengaged and ready to leave their jobs if a better one came along. So it's a great opportunity for a business owner to rob good talent. That's the other side of the coin.

As an employee working at a job you dislike, if you wanted to do something about it, you could try to master as many skills as you possibly could and learn on your employer's dime so that you were ready to jump to a better job as they open up. Of course, you can complain and not prep yourself for new possibilities. Or you can start an active search based on the new skills you just acquired.

As a business owner it's your job to proactively grow the culture in your company, to seek to engage your employees so they don't want to leave with all the skills you just helped them master and the knowledge of all your customers and vendors. If they willingly give you their best energy, they'll be a lot more productive and help your business grow. Really, how management treats employees is how employees treat customers. Who wants unhappy employees? A business owner can leverage happy employees and grow the business. Unhappy employees are like bad apples. They spoil the rest.

So how do you make employees happy? Lots of ways. It's not just money. People need enough money to live. But after that they want appreciation and respect. They want to learn new things and feel successsful. They want something to believe in, a vision that includes them contributing to something meaningul. Savvy business people don't have to have unhappy employees. Unhappy employees don't have to continue to be unhappy. You just have to be willing to change and adapt. Put together a plan and execute. Easy to say, harder to do. But lots of people make it happen. Joseph's advice above is right on.