Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2011 2:28 PM by Eikeman

Help with Market Research and Business Plan?

Eikeman Newbie

I am hoping to get some help and gain some knowledge from someone who has been in this field and has experience. Any help and advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I will try and lay out my plans and the information I have as best I can. I'm considering reopening a store that was open for 50+ years but closed 2 years ago. I plan on changing the products that were sold in the store to better fit the areas changing needs and work around other stores that have opened. It will be a gas station/convenience/sporting goods/grocery store. I know that sounds like a lot but I don't really know how to classify it. It is located in a rural town in the panhandle of North Florida. The name of the town is Bristol in Liberty County. It is between Tallahassee and Panama City. The county has around 7,000-9,000 people and is made up mostly of National Forrest. The store is a local landmark as it has been around for over 50 years. It is located on a main road HWY 12 south in Liberty County near Lake Mystic a local private Lake community. There is a lumber mill 3 miles south of the store so Semi traffic is high to and from the Mill. There are a number of lakes and rivers for fishing in the area. Lake Mystic has many reactional boaters and is within a ½ mile of the store. The National Forrest is south of the store and local hunters use HWY 12 to the Forrest to hunt. There is also lots of private hunting land as the county is mostly forrest. There is little doubt in my mind that the store would be profitable but I understand that banks and investors need numbers on paper and not my feelings on how the store will do. My problem now is simply this. 1) I have no experience in running a business. I have lived in this county all my life and know the people and the way the county operates but have never ran a business. 2) I am trying to get a business plan on paper with all the information and numbers on start up costs and monthly costs for running the store. I need help finding this information or where to find and how to get it organized to present it to someone to get the funding I need. 3) I need to know where to go to get the right funding to start the business.

To finish the building and land are currently for sale. The store has all of the shelves, coolers etc., everything it had when it was open is still in it. I have spoken with my real estate agent about the property and been in it. It is bank owned and is in need of a few repairs because it has been vacant for 2 years but is in overall decent condition. I currently live about ½ mile from the store. I can’t think of anything else at this moment.