This discussion is locked
Post a new topic
5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2012 9:42 AM by RaginHobo RSS

IT = good stuff

Lunar Knight Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums. I was wondering if anybody had some advice for a self starter, trying to get a computer repair business off the ground. For the time being, it's all independent and freelance; I go out to peoples homes and work on their systems, or if need be, I bring them back to my shop/home. I'd like to start a small family business and open a shop, but for the time being, I was wondering if anybody in this field had any advice on repairs, business management in this industry, etc.

Thanks!

• IT = good stuff
    LUCKIEST Master

Welcome. I have lots of questions. The more you share with us, the better our answers.

Tell us more about yourself. Where are you located??

Do you have a business name?? How about a Federal I D Number??

The next question is do you have insurance and an accountant??

What do you mean by "a small family business??

Is the business bringing in enough income to open a shop and pay rent, utilities, taxes etc??

I can help with the business management.

• IT = good stuff
      Lunar Knight Newbie

Ok, so to start: I am located in southern California.

My current business name is flux capacitor services, but that applies to my independant repair services. I will most likely try a different name for a shop. No Federal I.D.

No insurance nor accountant. I have not dived into the logistics much yet. It is just a thought that recently came to mind, something my father would like to do as well.

Small family business = a local repair shop, owned and operated by relatives/immediate family members, such as my mother and father.

For the time being, my side jobs do not earn enough to cover the rent, utilities, and taxes of a shop. This is something that will be reviewed further once my clientbase grows.

Thanks for the inqueries. I hope that helped!

• Re: IT = good stuff
    smallbus01 Novice

We need a bit more information. But a great idea to come here and ask questions. There are loads of knowledgeable people on here that are also helpful. I think you can start making pages in facebook and twitter just to get your business out there.

Mark Shipman Newbie

Concentrate on Sales.  Don't worry about the endless details of running a business until you have plenty of sales to sustain and are forced to scale for that.  To many people put the cart before the horse with inflated leases, unneccessary insurance and corporate structure.  The biggest liability you are going to have is deleting someone's photos.

We do not service home users and are located in SoCal.  We currently have no one reliable to refer home users too.  If you want some leads contact me and we can send them your way when they call.

RaginHobo Newbie

Mark Shipman wrote:

Concentrate on Sales.

This should be your focus starting out. No sense in investing in infrastructure, training, equipment, or space if you have no income to keep the lights on.

The best quote I heard on the matter was from the guys at 37signals: "Dont hire for pleasure, hire to alleviate pain." This can be easily used in any circumstance but the message is the same. Dont hire or buy because you can, do it to alleviate your workload and give yourself time for more important business tasks that are falling behind or shoulder the current load.

I was planning on starting something similar in my area, I just havent gotten around to it yet. My best bet was to target local business, small players that would benefit most. The whole house call thing seemed a little high risk to me, because of liability and general crazy people. Since I dont want people dropping equipment at my house, I also came to the conclusion that without a dedicated drop off center or office that this route wasnt feasible.

You can easily inject yourself into a small business supply chain by starting with building computers or networks for them and offering service plans to maintain those machines and networks. Then the sky is the limits as you add services.

Remember, dont take the ramblings of a random hobo as gospel. If you do, I have some prime real estate under a bridge with your name on it!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...