Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2011 6:20 PM by dmckvt

I need a manufacture for Kids Clothes!

Lauren Newbie

My Name is Lauren, I have recently just started up a children's and baby's apparel label in Melbourne Australia. It is nowhere near ready to be launched. I am in the process of seeking a manufacturer to produc ethe garments i want made.

I am wanting only a minimal quantity at this point, but will need more as the business takes off. I would like you to make the clothes based on my designs and with high quality fabrics. The designs are vintage and boutique kids clothes, not the usual "pretty" things you may find for kids in stores. I want to be a bit more alternative. Therefore it is important for me to find a manufacturer who can meet this requirement.

A little bit about the label: It will be a vintage and boutique baby and children’s clothing. It will not be "cute and babyish" it will incorporate different alternative but age appropriate garments. It’s just not the conventional clothing you see in everyday children’s boutiques.

I hope someone can help me!

• I need a manufacture for Kids Clothes!
          marketingdon Wayfarer

Hi

Lauren

I am a Bangladishi. Here are many manufacturer garments. Thos are qualityful garments. We are provide net and oven. I promise you product quality good.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
          • Re: I need a manufacture for Kids Clothes!
            hvh Newbie

Have you managed to get your products in line? If not, mabey I can help.

SME_ally Adventurer

hi lauren,

i have a client who recently launched a maternity wear site. she will also be expanding into infant wear in the near future. she has contacts with very capable manufacturers in china that can manufacture your garments. i can put you in touch with her if you're interested.  cheers.

wordperfect Scout

Hi Lauren, if you are only looking at small quantities then why not shop locally, ie OZ?

Some of the International manufacturers may not be able to so small runs much cheaper, plus you have the disadvantage of distance, adding not only to freight maybe but also the security. sure I know it is a big country, but you might have more success complaining to a local biz than one off shore.

If your product is "alternative" and not the usual mass made style, then can you not build in a price premium to make local manufacture more cost effective and tune your marketing to the niche who can and will spend extra to have something different that is well made?

I recall there was, maybe still is, a small, expensive range of childrens clothes styled and made in NZ [you know, that huge country just across the ditch!]............. maybe they do small runs............. worth a Google.

There is also the NZ biz guides, forget their names now.

Haha no, I am not in NZ, in China so do have some experience of off shore manufacturers.

Let me know if anything specific comes to mind, if I can help I will.

Lauren Newbie

Hi There!

Thanks for your advice, i am new to this but would love to get as much help as possible! what sort of manufacturers do you suggest? i couldnt find anyone in AUS or NZ when i was looking, if you know where i could look that would be great!

i am primarily doing babies and children's clothes, that are more "androgynous" look, and very modern and "grown up" your could say, as well as boutique!

What do you do in your line of work? i would love to know more about any manufacturors you recommend or how i could go about making sure my designs arent copied etc. I have copyrgiht, but just would like some guidance if possible

wordperfect Scout

Hi Lauren, sorry for my late reply, I don't check in here as often as I used to so I missed your reply.

I think I have an idea of your designs, I remember 3 or so years ago looking for someone and it was extremely popular in Hong Kong and the upper rich classes here in the mainland, but also pricey.

There is or was also a popular French Label that has / had a chain of boutique stores in the upper end shopping plazas.

Although I don't look these days i see no reason why it still should not be popular, esp here, as Children are seen as possessions to be exhibited as a symbol of your wealth and status in many cases.

I have been "gone" from NZ for over a decade so you are probably more au fait with the situation than I if you have searched. I just have this "thing" knocking on my brain that says I recall a small biz in NZ somewhere that was doing something similar, but where etc, I can't recall.

Have you tried the NZ Biz "Who's who?"

Not sure if that might be helpful, there was I thought another, but I can't remember.

There are also a couple [at least] if Biz Forums based in NZ, One is called Busy  Biz or something equally corny, the other might be the NZ small biz forum, anyway, a Google might throw up something.

If successful you can post in their forums, see what happens. I guess you have searched for small biz forums etc in OZ?

I have a good friend who Edits the NZBusiness Magazine, they generally aim at bigger companies but he might be able to pass on a lead that could be fruitful, I will drop him a line.

We are a  small Digital Marketing Studio, we prepare campaigns in China's exploding but very confusing Social Network marketing scene for clients like VW and Porche. You can find out about me / us from my Bio but you would need to contact me initially via my web site if you wanted to as I have disabled the Email address for this site because it was sending me so much SPAM.

As for protecting your designs, babe, it is a problem. It seems it is generally thought that if one has a "copyright" on anything, registered in US or wherever that this will be respected world wide and if not, some sort of punitive damage can be sought through legal means.

The truth seems to be that that applies only in countries such as US etc.

Outside the US, OZ or ???? copyright is only valid if it is also written into another countries laws and biz culture, but in many cases, it is not, so you are powerless.

We have had several firms crying to us that their designs or IP have been copied, usually the smaller ones who do not have Government protection.

In certain countries, if you are big enough and have sufficient power to be a major part of that countries economic wealth or development, then you can lever this to have government agencies act for you, destroy fakes, close factories and award financial damages to you.

I am sure you have seen or read where fake brands such as Apple, Nike, or Chanel are publicly destroyed, shredded or burnt, a round up of the usual suspects who are carted [back] of to jail and some sort of financial payout. It is largely a PR excercice where one hand washes the other.

So, in short, YOU can not make sure your design  are not copied etc.

The moment you begin to deal with a company in a country that does not have the same culture and laws you are at risk.

Best way is never trust anyone who comes to after trawling the web, take a look at the replies here, see if the poster has a "history" or if their reply to you is their first post.

That should be a warning.

To an extend is, like all biz, a risk, and you need to use judgement, experience and a "gut" feeling, all of which can be helped by referrals.

Think of it like going to the pub, are you going to go home wiht the first guy who walks up to with tin of Carlton in his hand or one that several of your girlfriends know, work with and can vouch for?

So, follow up with your chat with SME-ally and see what their client thought of the manufacturer they used.

OK, nothing really very concrete here I know, hopefully I may have a lead later, but can't promise.

Lauren Newbie

Hi There!

Thanks for your response! what sort of stuff does she do? does she have a website at all? i would love to see her stuff i am primarily doing babies and children's clothes, that are more "androgynous" look, and very modern and "grown up" your could say, as well as boutique!

What do you do in your line of work? i would love to know more about any manufacturors you recommend or how i could go about making sure my designs arent copied etc. I have copyrgiht, but just would like some guidance if possible

uluny Newbie

Hi Lauren,

I can help you to produce and conceptualize your kids clothing line; from sample stage to a small production. Start to finish. I am based in Bali, Indonesia. I've worked with clients in Australia. If you are interested, please reply to this post. Cheers.

dmckvt Wayfarer

Lauren,

I used to work in the Global Logistics Industry.  You need a purchasing or what's called a selling agent.  These types of agents will find the best manufacturer for your product line.  The BEST in Asia is a company called Li and Fung.  Most major US clothing retailers use Li and Fung for the exact same reasons. 

Hope this helps