Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 12:20 AM by wordperfect

Author's Assistant

Craft Brewer Newbie

Is anyone familiar with this type of work? I am looking into becoming one but all of my searches lead me to online courses that are quite expensive. I'm trying to determine how necessary it is to become a "certified" Author's Assistant.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• Author's Assistant
          LUCKIEST Guide

Not the answer you want BUT, I have spoken to a famous best selling author and his answer

quote is "There is no such thing."

• Re: Author's Assistant
              wordperfect Scout

Hi Lucky, that was my first reaction to Craft Brewer as well, but then I started to think laterally, maybe the assistant does n't actually write and who is to say that an AUTHOR  today just writes books?

So I did a Google, et, voila!

Sorry this is a long Cut and Paste but this system is so anal it refuses to allow me to post a direct link so, deep breath and.......................

Author’s assistants utilize the same virtual tools and methods but choose to focus on supporting authors in their efforts to publish a book. Writing the book is easy part; getting published and promoted is the hard part. That’s were a certified author’s assistant can come in handy.

Author’s assistants can provide the following support for authors:

They understand the publishing process – all the steps, time, budget

How to oversee the publishing process

Managing a virtual team, working with other professionals, contracts

Keeping a project on target

Permissions – when you need them and how to get them

Assisting with the book proposal

Doing competitive research

Doing audience research

Self-publishing, step by step: including

Getting an ISBN, bar codes, filing the copyright

Pricing/Handling volume purchasers

Selecting a printer

Getting on Amazon.com

Other products – ebooks, CDs,

Marketing funnel/platform

Distribution and shipping

Executing a marketing plan and schedule marketing events

Must have’s: web site, media kit, sales sheet

Creating Amazon.com and other email campaigns

Creating and expanding media and prospect lists

Making follow-up calls

Coordinating back of the room sales

Coordinating book launch events around publication date

Ecommerce (merchant accounts, shopping carts, etc.)

Tracking publicity

Many coaches, speakers and trainer have a book in them to write but just don’t know where to start. If they can get the book written an author’s assistant can help walk them through the manuscript development through the publishing process and the promotional steps.

So there ya go!

Anyway Craft Brewer, I have no idea of being certified or not is needed or an advantage, but from the above it seems it is highly unlikely it is a job one could just walk into, one would I suspect need some darn good connections deep in the various industries else one is, well, not to put to fine a point on it, useless?