Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2011 3:14 PM by REIUSA

EIN number question-help

angusv Newbie

Should I give out my EIN number to others?

• EIN number question-help
          Barky Dog Tracker

angusv,

It is safer to give out your EIN than it is to give out your personal social security number.  However, in my experiences, you'll very rarely need to use your EIN number for something. It's more common to provide the number in the retail world, when wholesalers require a business license in order to provide certain pricing.

Definitely do not print your EIN on invoices or other common documents.  It's best to only provide it to trusted businesses when they specifically ask for it.

Good luck,

Barky

LUCKIEST Guide

Similar in purpose to the Social Security Number assigned to individuals, EINs are used by employers and

corporations.

The IRS uses this number to identify taxpayers that are required to file  various business tax returns.

Contrary to some misconceptions, credit bureaus and credit issuers can  tell the difference between

SSN and EIN Numbers. SSN Numbers can be  validated as to origin and state / year of issuance.

The credit bureaus  and issuers are highly trained in fraud detection, and increasingly  sophisticated algorithms

and protections are used. This is why the EIN  is not considered sensitive information, and is freely distributed

by  many businesses by way of publications and the internet.

REIUSA Wayfarer

You may need it to ship boxes valued over $2500 out of the country, maybe $2000 can't remember exactly.