Post a new topic
    20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 12:42 PM by Iwrite

Logo Design and Giving Back

Cyan_MYK Wayfarer
      Hello,
      I have been a graphic designer for over 10 years and finally decided to start my own business. I finally got the guts with the encouragement of friends and family. I am focusing on logo design. I would like to encourage help from my community by offering $50.00 for any referrals. 5% discount to the person who uses the referral code. What do you think?
        • Re: Logo Design and Giving Back
          sojome Newbie
          do you do web sites ?
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Cyan_MYK Wayfarer
            Sojome,
            Yes, I do Web sites.
                SpartanWarior Wayfarer
                Cyan_MYK,

How many repeat customers do you have? To me, it seems like repeat business could be low because businesses dont need logos on a large scale. So even if there are repeat customers, they will be for a few logos.

How much do you charge for a logo? Let's say you charge $100. It means that after you shell out $50, you will be left with only $50. If you can't get enough repeat customers, it means you get half your earnings. Will that be ok with you?

Just to summarize, You may be giving a little too much if you give away $50 per referral.

I would recommend you focus on giving great logos so you can get referrals without the $50 incentive.

Cheers,
                Spartan
                    Cyan_MYK Wayfarer
                    SpartanWarior,
                    Thank you for your recommendation. It was very helpful. I think I will scrap the idea of the $50 incentive.
                      colossalcad Wayfarer
                      As I see it cyan_MYK is just looking for customers. Sometimes we (small business owners) look for creative ways to promote our business, and we find a little bit expensive or out of hands to use standards way of advertising. An interesting way to promote what you do is to give away something whether a sample of our services for free or some of the profits for referrals.
                      I'm using this promoting method, giving away a FREE house design in http://www.colossalcad.wordpress.com , in order to get people to know the services I offer.

Colossalcad
                      http://www.colossalcad.com
                          will100 Newbie
                          Hi,

I want some tips to enhance my designing capability. I am learning logo design, logo creation and logo conversion using Illustrator and corel.

If u have, please forward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Will
                              Iwrite Pioneer
                              Will,

It is kind of hard to give out tips when you can't see the person's work. It is like a cook wanting advice on his/her cooking but not providing a sample meal.

Please provide some more information about yourself and what you are trying to do, along with some samples of your work. What type of computer are you using? If you are on a Mac InDesign is another program you might want to become familiar with.

In general, I would suggest studying what everyone else is doing by picking up some of the trade publications and visiting sites like Communication Arts (commarts.com), Design, QBN, DesignersToolbox.com, Lurzer Archive, One Show, Graphic Design (www.gdusa.com), PRINT, and HOW. Just to mention a few.

It is all about keeping up with what is going on and learning from that. The Detroit Lions just touched up their logo, look at the stories on that. Try to track down the articles about the new Pepsi and Tropicana logo redesigns, both have met with some serious push-back and negative feedback. The story of the rebranding of SCI-FI to SY-FY is also something interesting to follow. Being a designer is a great job but you have to keep you eyes open for the trends and movements. I hope this helps.
                        LUCKIEST Guide
                        Like you, I also believe in Giving Back. I am a Quickbooks Consultant with clients all over
                        the country. The first session is FREE and give back 25% of future fees
                        You can contact me at " pdeig@juno.com "
                        You should go to Members page and tell us a few words about you and your business
                        LUCKIEST
                        1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          freebrd005 Newbie
                          I have experience with graphics and I know that while some designers are grossly overpaid, some are grossly underpaid as well. Build your reputation via your past clients. NETWORK.

Most people who want logos are some sort of business or organization. Perhaps you should go back to the people who paid you for your work (employers, friends who requested favors, etc.) and ask them for referrals and maybe you can work a percentage commission or a service you can provide that is not too time consuming.

Here's one of my random ideas...I'm good at these...but what if you give back to the community by looking for organizations such as charity and non-profits and make the offer directly. They usually have a lot of marketing and media press releases...if not at least some media coverage. If you can, get an agreement for them to name you and display your work (logo) publicly, you can score big time!

Donating to local organizations will reward you in kind if you can afford it.

It's cheaper than the $50 you want to give away and it may be more productive in the long-run.

Just a thought. But for the record, I think the amount you plan to give out is very generous. Too generous.
                            Lighthouse24 Ranger

Offering a $50 reward for referrals may be a good idea for large consumer products like new cars or swimming pools, but not for a professional service that's provided to other businesses. When someone refers a new client or work to you, it is more appropriate to express your appreciation on the back end. Trying to "buy" referrals up front can be perceived as "tacky."

Another problem with rewards like this in a business-to-business climate is deciding who gets the $50 -- the person who gave the referral, or his/her company? A lot of companies would see an ethical dilemma here (and perhaps even suspect that a "kickback" arrangement exists between you and the individuals involved) so your plan could actually discourage referrals rather than increasing them.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
                              NatOnline Tracker
                              Are you a print reseller?

When I was an active graphic designer, I offered the design free when customers bought 1000 business cards in 4 colors, and just make profit on print, and never charged for typesetting. Customers loved this deal, it is just my 2 cents :-)
                                pistolpete Newbie
                                I am actually looking for a logo designer for my new business. I am not looking for the cheapest (been there, done that) but someone to work with that is reasonably priced. There seems to be a lot of hype on the Internet for these services. The cheap ones don't help much with the creative part and the established ones want to charge you like you are Fortune 100. If you would like me to describe what I am looking for and want to put something together, let me know how I can communicate with you outside this forum.
                                  Cyan_MYK Wayfarer
                                  TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED:

Thank you very much for your responses. I am so glad that I posted my question here! The answers were very informative and helpful. Although my intentions were good, this was a bad idea from a business stand point. I hope that I can give back as a resource in this forum in the same way the forum has given to me. Thank you again.
                                    will100 Newbie
                                    Hi,

I am also a designer but newbie. I use Illustrator and Corel draw for <a href=http://www.lunalogo.com>Logo creation</a> and Logo conversion.
                                    If you guys have tips, Please forward..

Thanks

Will