Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 1:01 PM by KathleenF

Question about Business License

jamrock Adventurer

I have my EIN number, Can someone tell me whats the next step or how I register my business and How I get a business license Please and Thank you.

• Question about Business License
          Wayfarer

Hi Jamrock,

You should be able to registar your business with the federal governement through the this website. (www.sba.gov) That would be your next step. When you registar your business you will need to be able to provide information such as if your business is a for profit or non profit and if you are a corporation, an LLC and so on. Normally, your business licenses will be the last thing that you would get because if you are in the market of trying to find a building for your business, furnishing equipment and so on, you will have to go through your county goverment to make sure that your building meets all of the county and city codes of ordiances and stuff like that, then you can file for your licenses and open your doors for business.

jamrock Adventurer

sonmaxx

Thank you very much for taking the time out to answer me. I have another question, I am starting my catering business, do I need a special license to serve cook food, and I am doing this out of my house before I search for a building to rent or buy. Need to build client tell. Thank you and let me know.

Wayfarer

Hi Jamrock,

I am glad the information I gave you was helpful. To answer the other question that you mentioned about selling the food out of your home......yes you will need to have some sort of food service permit. ( business license will be necessary when you get your building).  The reason why is because when you are serving food whether hot or cold, you have to think about possible food poison. Granted a food service permit does not give you any type legal security if something like that should occur, but you can get into trouble by selling food without a permit to the public.