Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2011 8:21 AM by BizOptimizer

someone wants to franchise my store

Hi Everybody,

I have a small dessert shop in Los Angeles(just one store).

Someone wants to franchise my store(also in California), but what are the pros and cons for me?

Do I need any permit or license to franchise? Can I just do this between me and him? or Do I have to report some legal documents to somewhere?

What are the legal matters?

Please give me some advise.

Thanks in advance

• someone wants to franchise my store
          BizOptimizer Adventurer

I would seek the advice of a franchise creator like United Franchise Group.  They should be able to give you a perspective on all aspects (legal, marketing, protection, etc).  As I understand it, there was once a group that wanted to franchise Longhorn Steakhouse out west - they ended up starting Outback.

I suspect there are many hazzards on many angles and you'd do youself good to consult with those in the business.  Good luck,

Ed

• Re: someone wants to franchise my store
            PiperE Wayfarer

passioninla,

Not sure if you are even still following this thread anymore. But, I was a franchise consultant, and know that franchising a business is terribly expensive.

Unless you are planning to launch a full blown franchise, a better option is to simply license your business model to this person. Of course you will need an attorney who is experienced is creating licensing agreements, but it will be a fraction of the cost you'd incur to franchise.