Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2008 9:55 PM by easyfreewebde

Your advise matters

rashme21 Newbie

I have done my Business Management and started my own business in India and operated 7 yrs very successfully. Then I moved to middle east lived 7 yrs working for a multinational company. Now I am in US and looking for a break. I am thinking to start my own business. 14 yrs of mixed experience is it enough to start a business here in US. Can any one guide me what route I have to take and what area is better.

Thanks rashme21
        • Re: Your advise matters
          LUCKIEST Guide
          21, Welcome to this website. I am a SCORE Counselor. SCORE is a partner to Bank of America
          and provides FREE assistance to you. Visit a SCORE office and talk to a live counselor FREE or go online
          and get FREE help. They will help you develop a Business and Marketing Plan.
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
              rashme21 Newbie
              Thanks luckist for your response. How score operate, they charge you for the services. I am thinking to start a online store with dropship. I like to know what are legal and tax issues. Few of the online stores never charge sale tax, but my finding is that they should charge ST. If that the case how can I do business online. Can you clarify me. Is this project is ok to do.

Thanks
                  LUCKIEST Guide
                  21, Your advise matters. SCORE is FREE of charge. NO CHARGE.
                  On line go SCORE. They will help you.
                  SCORE can clarify for you. This project is ok to do?? Yes
                  LUCKIEST
                    Lighthouse24 Ranger

Your profile says that you are in Tennessee, and that is an unusual state in that residents there have to file a "Use Tax" return and pay the equivalent of state sales tax on all items purchased over the Internet and shipped from out of state. Consequently, all merchants in TN are required to collect sales tax on any sale that is shipped or delivered to an address within state. It doesn't matter if you're shipping it yourself, or if it is being drop-shipped from somewhere else. For more info, visit:

http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/tntaxes/index.htm
                        rashme21 Newbie
                        Yes that's true TN need tax. Is it not good to have dropship online store with TN address. Last summer I purchased some furniture for my personnel use from Greensboro NC. The store said they don't collect ST but when I check with TN sale tax they told me its my responsiblity to pay tax. So I paid tax. That's how TN sale tax or use tax work. If other store have the flexibility not to tax then how can I be sucessful. Please advise.
                            Lighthouse24 Ranger
                            To be successful, you have to compete with them on the basis of something other than price (same as the mom-and-pop retailer that's down the street from Wal-Mart). Unless you're selling a one-of-a-kind item, a customer will always be able to find your products somewhere else at a lower price than you can afford to sell them. So your business strategy (and the strategy for most small businesses) has to be built on providing customers with something (relative to your product, the service you provide, the shopping experience, etc.) that they can't get from your low-price competitors.
                      Ed O'Gee Adventurer
                      While running a business in the US is different than India and the Middle East, at the end of the day business is business. If you have the track record to make a go of it, I say go for it.

But take Luckiest advice and find a business counselor in the states that can help you get started. SCORE is a great start.
                        MyNameWebsite Wayfarer
                        You might want to check out the business I started a year ago at www.mynamewebsite.com I only need to advertise it and get my commission deposited directly to my bank. I can help you create this business for as little as $200 for the entire year. You could also build your own website and get your .com name for $12.49 for the year.

Good luck,

Juan Palomares
                        Owner
                        www.mynamewebsite.com
                        mrpalomares@mynamewebsite.com
                          easyfreewebde Wayfarer
                          Hi,

I agree with some posts. Dropshipping is a very easy business, no inventory, or overhead. Work a few hours, and a website can make sales 24/7.

As far a sales tax, I can't advise on that, but I belive it is up to each state? Check with your accountant.

If you want to start a hom based business selling online, and need to find wholesalers and dropshippers. Search Drop Ship Sources Online ( http://dropshipsourcesonline.com ) they have over 5000 verified drop ship suppliers and wholesalers.

If you need a website designed to promote your products, cinsider us ( http://easyfreewebdesign.com )

Best wishes!