Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2008 3:57 AM by LUCKIEST

What is PBX?

elani9 Newbie

Hi all,

I newly joined this community and I have some basic questions that I would
      like to ask. What is PBX? And how does it work in small business office. I know
      little bit but I want collect more information on that. So you please drop me your
      answers.

Thanks!
        • Re: What is PBX?
          Lighthouse24 Ranger

Welcome to the community.

In plain language, a PBX system basically lets the company present one telephone number to the world, interconnect all of its employees to each other and to the world with extensions, route incoming calls to the proper extensions (and add-on services like voice mail), and track incoming/outgoing calls.

For a basic primer, as well as the different options available to small businesses, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pbx
            LUCKIEST Guide
            9, Welcome to this website. Lighthouse gives great answers.
            This question has been asked before (maybe twice). You can see the posts. Up near the top of the page
            under the powered by Bank of America is a section marked Email " Search this site "
            Key in the words PBX and you can see the prior posts.
            Also Lots of info on Google.
            Good luck, LUCKIEST
              dinas23 Newbie

Hi, being a new member your question is absolutely right and it’s also
              essential to know about it. Now this time a small business telephone system is playing very big roll for any organization.
              A PBX (Private Branch Exchange) is a small telephone switch owned by a company
              or organization. These organizations purchase PBX's to reduce the total number
              of telephone lines they need to lease from the telephone company. Without a
              PBX, a company will need to lease one telephone line for every employee with a
              telephone.

With a PBX system, the company only needs to lease as many lines from the
              telephone company as the maximum number of employees that will be making
              outside calls at one time. This is usually around 10% of the number of
              extensions.

In a PBX system, every telephone is wired to the PBX. When an employee takes
              the receiver off hook (i.e. picks up the telephone) and dials the outside
              access code (usually 9), the PBX connects the employee to an outside line
              (often, though somewhat incorrectly, referred to as a trunk). Hope you will
              agree with my answer.

Cheers!
                LUCKIEST Guide
                A Private Branch eXchange (PBX) is a telephone exchange that serves a particular business or office,
                as opposed to one that a common carrier or telephone company operates for many businesses.
                34, If you google PBX, the first three listings are
                PBX phone system - QUOTES
                PBX phone System
                and FREE PBX Guide
                A good place to start. Good luck, LUCKIEST