Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2011 4:35 PM by steven_ucf

Using a HELOC to fund start-up business.

I've recently started a business completely funded by myself to this point. I'm at the point now where I require additional funding to offset day-to-day operations (including paying myself) and aquiring new assets. I am considering getting a Home Equity Line of Credit to do this because I have plenty of equity in the home. My only concern is that with this being a new business (2 months old) and I have yet to start producing an income with it, that I might have a problem getting the HELOC from the bank. Is the house as collateral and a good credit score enough to get the HELOC?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• Using a HELOC to fund start-up business.

Wouldn't it be more prudent to find a seed capital or Angel Investor?  You really don't need to have any fund raising experience, if you engage a company to help you complete your offering documents as well as manage your company’s capital acquisition campaign.

Bridge Navigator

Depending on how much you need, you might try an SBA backed micro-loan.  Most loans will st8ll require some typr of collateral; i.e. your house.  You alos need to check the HELOC terms as to what you are allowed to use the money for.

If your business is only 2 months old, try to make a profit with the money you have before you go putting your house up for collateral.  If you can not make a profit with the money you have invested, what thinks you are going to make a profit with borrowed money?

If you have a proven track record and can rely on a steady income stream from your business, then maybe it wouldn't be such a scary idea.

Figure there is a 95% chance of failing in the 1st 5 years; I wouldn't gamble the house just yet.