Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2008 5:46 PM by xeeker

Should I wait for the MacBook Air?

Bluesuit Adventurer

I had posted a few questions earlier about a Mac vs. PC and finally settled on buying a Mac at the Apple Store thanks to all the help I got in this forum. So, I was just about to head off to the Apple Store and get a MacBook and now I learned that the "MacBook Air" will be rolling out... Having a super "thin" laptop is not so important to me..but now I am thinking I should wait to purchase - just in case I like it better or if the prices on the regular MacBook drop as a result. Thoughts?
        • Re: Should I wait for the MacBook Air?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Blue, Just keep on waiting. Why buy that 2008 Auto, Wait until next year.
          Opportunities can present themselves anytime, anywhere, BUT LETS WAIT
          Do you remember the Brooklyn Dodgers. Their motto was " WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR "
          LUCKIEST
            devaney Adventurer

If you can wait a few weeks to check out the new laptop - why not? Who knows - you may like it better. Remember when Apple kept on coming out with their new line of iPods? Well, that resulted in a drop in price of their existing models. Prices with tech always decrease, it's just a matter of time.
              TGA000 Wayfarer
              Always! At least that's my rule. I never purchase 1st run technology, too many bugs.

This is the guy who said launch and then test.

And let's not forget the iPhone and all the problems 1st gens had!

Yes. Wait for at leat 4 months before picking this up.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                xeeker Wayfarer
                I can see how "hot" you are to make this purchase! Do not go for brand new technology! It is NOT because of "bugs", though they are certainly a consideration. It is because of PRICE! The newest is the most expensive and for 3 whole months you can be proud of you state of the art purchase. After 3 months will be the new introductions with more and more new features making your new purchase fall behind in its ultimate abilities compared to what is nowout aned available. Ask yourself ... do you really want to spend so much on your purchase, when there are so many other good alternatives that are so much less expensive. You really need to list all of the things you want your computer to do for you and then start looking from there. You will find that all of your needs will be met starting at about $699 for a PC and about $1400 for a Mac.
                  xenopod Adventurer
                  I remember reading your last thread, but I don't think this came up. Do you need a solid state drive? If you do the MacBook Air will be your only option on Apple's side. Though if you really needed a solid state drive for rugged environments you might want to look at the Panasonic notebooks.

Don't expect price drops on the other Apple notebook computers generally after MacWorld the next processor upgrade goes into effect on the existing lines so that keeps their prices about the same.

I remember you ended up decided going Apple so unless the form factor or any of the special features are appealing to you. I think you would prefer a computer with CD/DVD drive then a small/light laptop.
                    LUCKIEST Guide
                    Blue, 4 more days have passed. STILL WAITING??
                    LUCKIEST
                      2go2Marketing Wayfarer
                      I think it is a good technological feat for making it such a small footprint but its marketability is lost when it requres and external DVD adapter to play DVDs. When Apple figures out a way to integrate the DVD into the Macbook Air, I will purchase it. Until then, I will stick with Macbook Pros.

Brandon
                      2 go 2 Marketing
                      1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        Bluesuit Adventurer
                        Thanks for everyone's feedback...I am going to wait to buy.
                          xeeker Wayfarer
                          Let me add a little tidbit that the general public just doesn't seem to pay attention to. If you are looking to purchase electronics of any kind, be it cameras, widescreens, ipods or computers, the CES Show is the introduction of all the new technology for the coming year and it is happening just about now (just was?...just about to happen?)!!

All the new stuff is heading for the stores (just as the "roll out" of the Mac Air). This leaves the "golden opportunity" of all of the "close outs" that are about to be planned and executed ... from NOW until the end of April. One by one, you will find stuff that is interesting dropping 30% and MORE to make way for the new merchandise about to hit the shelves for the summer season of introductions aimed at students and summer time is when businesses "change" with the greatest expedience. The close out season is short and you have to be in the "right place at the right time", so watch the ads and scan the "net", it's time for our special, male "laser shopping"! Enjoy the chase