Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2010 2:29 PM by KathleenF

What type of SSL Certificate do I need?

caratworks Newbie
      I bought a Single Root SSL Certificate from a reseller (www.thesslstore.com) of RapidSSL for my webstore so that I could have secure transactions using authorize.net

When I tested my SSL Cert using domain.com, it works, but when I test using www.domain.com, I get an error stating "certificate does not match name"

My webhost company is telling me to buy their SSL Cert (which I thought was the same as I bought from the reseller) because their SSL Certs are good for the domain name and the www subdomain of the domain name.

My webdeveloper is telling me the .htaccess needs another edit. (which I have no clue what he is talking about, and he is really falling off the train about being helpful).

Googling the above, I am unable to resolve.

Here is the SSL cert I bought
      https://www.thesslstore.com/rapidssl/rapidssl-certificates.aspx
        • Re: What type of SSL Certificate do I need?
          amspcs Ranger
          Yup, I see a lot of that. If you want the plug-in to work, your only option is to buy it from ME. That's called proprietary fixing, and in my opinion it stinks.

In the first place, for SSL certificates, as with anything else, you're usually safer going with proven providers like Verisign, GoDaddy, etc, not Brand X.

In the second place, if your provider is proving to be less than helpful, it might be time to find a new provider.

In the third place, you say you already have an Authorize.net gateway. Did you get your acquiring account separately, or bundled from the same provider w ho sold you the A.net? If so, I hope you didn't get yourself
          into yet another proprietary trap.

AMSPCS
          amspcs@juno.com
          www.MerchantServices-help.com
              caratworks Newbie
              Thanks.. I keep seeing RapidSSL and thought they are reputable from the research I did. I didn't even realize Godaddy sold SSLs. See them now.

I signed up recently with my provider about 30 days ago (at the recommendation of my web developer). Only after, did I find out he was a reseller for the webhost :(

I signed up for authrize.net separately.

Other than the SSL issue, my site is up and running (well other than not having an open store due to not having a working SSL certificate). I am about ready to drop the $ for the SSL provided by the host. Otherwise I have to wait 30-45 days before I move everything and I would lose the year I paid up front for hosting.

This certainly has been a learning process.
              Graphic_SEO Newbie
              Okay the best way to do this without masking the problem or throwing extra money at it is to turn your domain into a single name. right now www and non www are being treated as 2 different domains. What you are going to need to do is use a 301 redirect to merge them into one domain. The easiest way to do this is to either do it yourself by throwing this piece of code into your .htaccess file:

Options +FollowSymLinks
              RewriteEngine on
              RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yourdomain\.com
              RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.yourdomain.com/$1 R=permanent,L

or vice versa if your want to reroute it to the non www version.

if this code looks greek to you would consult with your web developer or give a web development company a call to do it. We can do it for you if you like just check my profile for info on our company and get in contact with us, we would be more than happy to help out
                  KathleenF Scout
                  Make sure when you change the code that you do not do it in any type of HTML text editor. If your webhost provides you with a control panel then find your file manager which should offer you the option to edit a file.

His code ...

Options +FollowSymLinks
                  RewriteEngine on
                  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yourdomain\.com
                  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.yourdomain.com/$1 R=permanent,L

Make sure you change the yourdomain.com to your action domain name. Verify with your webhosting provider that mod re-write is enabled; otherwise the above won't work.

Kathleen