Post a new topic
    20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 11:06 PM by Elite1

What will you outsource in 08?

SpartanWarior Wayfarer
      I have been having loads of work on my hand both at the business level and on the personal level. I have been working for at least 10 hours every day including Saturday. I just want to get away from this schedule. What I need help in understanding WHICH tasks to outsource and HOW MUCH to outsource and WHOM to outsource (same city,

It will be useful if you can share your experience and recommend services to outsource. The following are the tasks I have been juggling or have been pending.

1. Accounting (enter vouchers and bank statements in QuickBooks)
      2. Legal work (get company incorporated; do legal documentation about various resolutions and filings etc.)
      3. Research work regarding customer acquisition
      4. Reserach work regarding Search Engine Optimization
      5. Recruitment - getting people to join me
      6. Making and testing the product - writing technical specs
      7. Coordinating with software vendors

Personal
      1. Satisfying obligations from parents and close relatives :) how much can I outsource that!
      2. Lot of small administrative work like looking for a carpenter
      3. Looking for tutors
      4. Buy groceries etc.etc.
      5. Manage personal relationships through emails, calls etc.

To put it bluntly, this is what takes most of my time. What about you? And which of those did you outsource/offshore and how happy are you with it?

Cheers,
      CS
        • Re: What will you outsource in 08?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          What will I outsource? Great question Everything that I can. I am a Quickbooks consultant.
          Anything and everything that makes my life easier will be outsourced. A more complete answer will follow.
          LUCKIEST
            moogrdotcom Wayfarer
            For me its less about outsourcing and more about time & process management. Am i working on the right things at the right time? Do i have the right tools for the right job?

Once you have systems of repeatable process in place then you can look at outsourcing them but until then you may not even NEED outsourcing if they're that repeatable and your time is managed correctly.
              CEO Space Scout

One of the key mottos of our network is "if it isn't your genius, it isn't your job".

However, most people who are just starting out or even some existing businesses who are tight on cash flow cannot afford to hire for pay all the people they need to help them.

That is why we teach people in our network about joining each others teams and joint ventures etc, in a cooperative model where everyone wins.

This is how our members get more done in less time. I have written some articles about it that are posted at Idea Marketers website. Those should give you some ideas.

Good Luck.
                Lighthouse24 Ranger

If you're only working 10-hour days, I might not be the person you'd want to take advice from on this! Even so, to answer your question . . .

Some of what you mentioned are things that add value to your business or your personal life, and some are just "chores" to be done. I try to reserve large blocks of uninterrupted time for value-adding activities, and then take care of all the chores during the time in between. It takes discipline, because when you finish something big, interesting, and value-adding, you immediately have to start something that's trivial and boring (but necessary) -- so you don't get to "goof off" much.

As far as outsourcing, if it's one of those trivial but necessary tasks, and if nobody here knows how to do it and nobody wants to learn, then it's a candidate for outsourcing. Whether it actually gets outsourced or not usually comes down to money -- can we afford to have someone outside do it (or can we afford not to if it takes our time away from something value-adding)? It's a numbers decision.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.
                    SpartanWarior Wayfarer
                    Lighthouse,

Your comment about reserving large chunks of time for value adding activities is very helpful. Thanks.

But I am surprised about learning and knowledge. For some tasks (website development), the learning curve could be so long that a business may not want to invest time though folks in the company may want to do it.

In my opinion, if the cost or time to do an activity is shorter than if we outsource it, we can consider them as activities to outsource.

Let me know what you think.

Spartan
                        Lighthouse24 Ranger

Spartan, in response to "the learning curve could be so long that a business may not want to invest time though folks in the company may want to do it" -- that's true for most companies, but I understood you were asking members about our own outsourcing plans for the year.

As a consulting firm, if we have a business need for it, our clients generally do, too. So the knowledge we gain from doing it in-house (and having someone here gain expertise at it) has value well beyond its cost/benefit to us. Also, in small companies like mine, advancement opportunities can be limited -- so when an employee wants to learn a new skill that adds value, allowing the person to do so usually IS efficient because the employee is more satisfied and making a greater contribution, and it costs less to hire and train someone to fill whatever basic job that employee used to have than it would have cost to hire/outsource the new expertise we needed. (You're right, though -- the frequency with which I authorize and encourage that is probably unusual.)
                      LUCKIEST Guide
                      Joke time, With all the items that we are outsourcing, you have time
                      on the Members page to add a few words about you and your business
                      LUCKIEST
                        Ed O'Gee Adventurer
                        Payroll,

I sold it for 14 years and it makes no sense for a busy business owner to do it themselves.
                          Outsource Newbie

I think being a business owner can take a toll on people(business owners) specially if they dont get the proper support system that they need (professional or personal). I think you should;

1. Assess your business and personal standpoint.

2. Pinpoint the stressors

3. Prioritize your task, e.g. what task is worth outsourcing? what task you should do yourself, etc.

4. Once you evaluate business and decide what task you should outsource then plan on HOW are you going to outsource these task without causing you a fortune.

5. Once you are done planning, then implement your choosen intervention.

6. Then evaluate if your plan is working

Assess, Diagnose the problem, Plan your intervention, Implement your plan and EVALUATE your plan!

Goodluck!

Outsource
                          www.thinkwis.com

DomainDiva Ranger
                            First of all it looks like you are just disorganized. Start making a daily to do list. If something gets added put it at the bottom.

Quickbooks? Set aside one day a week to do books. Keep three file folders..in...out...limbo and use them. Put all the bills and statments in the in folder and one day a week (I use Wednesday) do the books and bills. Lots of times I pay online and then put the bill in the folder to enter in Qbooks.

All the business work you have mentioned you need to prioritize and then tackle each item one at a time. Keep a notebook to make notes on the other items when you think of something but it seems that you are letting yourself get distracted. By the way...also take time to go online to the credit bureaus and make sure your credit history is correct. You can dispute online and they will respond.

Obligations to close relatives? Like what...are your parents incapacitated? (I am exclusing obligations to children here for obvious reasons). Or is there a horde of vampires leeching the lifeblood and money out of you? Are you one of those people that cannot say "No?" and end up tired, frustrated and worn out? It's OK to tell the relatives No, if you don't believe me ask Dr. Laura.

You can outsource the accounting and legal work thats what these people are there for. But if its your business you are going to have to start drawing the line somewhere and ask yourself what really is important....everyone elses problems or your priorities.

You may want to do meal planning and shop from that list. Keep the list on the fridge and do not deviate. Keep one night open for take out/pizza.

Theres a book called "Getting Things Done" that may be of some help as well.
                              cajawahar Wayfarer
                              dear u can outsource the following things

.1- Accounting (enter vouchers and bank statements in QuickBooks)
                              2. Legal work (get company incorporated; do legal documentation about various resolutions and filings etc.)
                              3. Research work regarding customer acquisition
                              5. Recruitment - getting people to join me
                              7. Coordinating with software vendors

Personal

2. Lot of small administrative work like looking for a carpenter
                              3. Looking for tutors

if you are interested to a long term contract with us, you are welcome
                                jnees1023 Wayfarer
                                I invite you to take a look at my website for more information on how outsourcing can be beneficial in saving time, money and sanity!

Sincerely,
                                Jackie Nees
                                Integrity Office Solutions
                                http://www.integrityofficesolutions.com
                                  designer Tracker
                                  If you are a control freak like me, it is very hard to delegate and outsource. I once asked a young lady to do the simplest thing for me like address business postcards, stamp them, and pop in the mail. I took a look at some and just wasn't thrilled with her handwriting. I know it sounds silly - - -in one respect, I felt great that I was helping support a high school student, but the work wasn't A+ and as perfect as I would have like it and it didn't please me. It is very, very hard for me to outsource anything.
                                    da1969 Newbie
                                    I had the same issue...no time for anything, not even to focus on really growing my business, which is why I hired a virtual assistant service....best decision i could have ever made! Thanks to Achieve Virtual Assistant Services @ www.achievevas.com, I am not bogged down with administrative type tasks anymore....
                                      Elite1 Adventurer

I just bought out an existing tax preparation business. I have been a single-person operation (with a secretary). The volume of my clientele will triple since my acquisition. I have decided to outsource everything out of my areas expertise..down to scrubbing the toilet. I believe you should do what you are good at and leave the rest to those who are good at what they do.

Here's a hypothetical example: Say you make an average of $100/hour in your field. Your accountant makes $50/hour entering your bank statements, etc. Most likely, it will take you 3 hours (or more) to complete the accounting project that it would take your accountant one hour. If you were focused on what you do best, you could have been making $100/hour. So, doing the work yourself actually cost you an extra $250. $300 ($100 x 3) potential income less $50 accounting bill.

Tanya
                                      Elite Financial Services, LLC