Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2008 8:45 PM by NOBLEED

Special education!

adorcely Newbie
      My goal is to open a special education Pre-K for children with learning disabilities/ autism/Language disabilities and so on. I have the greatest vision of providing these services to the population either for free or at subsidy price. The key to special education is if caught early, the child stand a chance to function well later on. My son was diagnosed with a learning and language disability when he was two, and because I was a school teacher and aware of what therapy I should use, today he can function 90% like a child of his age. However, if I had waited on that waiting list for a year or two without doing anything, God knows where we would be today. My question is how can I get a facility donated to me to open that school. I can write grants for supplies and other things I suppose. My main issue here is the location. If I go under non-profit how would pay scale go???????
      Anybody have any ideas???????
        • Re: Special education!
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Special education, thanks for sharing. Where are you located?? How soon??
          Glad to know that you were a school teacher. It has to help with licenses etc.
          Do you have a Business and Marketing Plan??
          Tell use more, the more we know the better our answers.
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
              adorcely Newbie
              I am still a school teacher and I am located in Atlanta. My goal is to have the school open this may. I am working with the SBA on my business plan. The need is so great that the research is taking me a long time. I can get the license, it is just a training and since I am already certified that will open other doors for me.
                  LUCKIEST Guide
                  Special education, Thanks for your quick answer. Glad to know you are working with the SBA.
                  I wear many hats. I am a SCORE counselor and SCORE and the SBA (as you know) go together.
                  I could help you with your Business Plan (if you need help).
                  I am also on the Board of a Special Needs Organization in N Y.
                  Good luck and stay in touch. LUCKIEST
                CEO Space Scout
                Welcome to the forum.

That sounds like a wonderful endeavor.

In our network, one of our mottos is "learn, earn and return", in other words, to give back.

We have a large membership in Atlanta, too.

I would suggest you post what you are looking for in the forum under NEEDS at www.ceospace.biz.

Also, if you could email me your business plan, I can forward it to some Atlanta members myself.

kathyhadley@earthlink.net

Good Luck
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

If you can't get a dedicated facility donated, then another option to consider is finding temporary space to get the service started (and work up to the building).

My mom was a diagnostician, and when she retired from the school system, she did what you are planning by networking with community members to find space. I recall that a minister offered use of Sunday school classrooms during the week. A short time later, a daycare operator put her in touch with their landlord (who had a grandchild with special needs) and they bartered a deal where she used a defunct dance studio nearby at no cost.

Key people in the community got behind the idea, and they pushed for state and federal grants to open a facility that not only focused on early identification and learning, but on family training and support, plus other issues like inclusion and access. Although it took a few years, funding was eventually provided to renovate a neighborhood elementary school (that had been closed when schools were desegregated), and the child development center was realized.

Hopefully you can get your building more quickly -- but if not, this might be another way to start.

Best wishes.
                    NOBLEED Wayfarer
                    I can assist with reviewing your plan....I am school administrator...opened up a small learning community public school-5 years ago....population is 28% special education..still going (still leading). I am also a certified special educator and I have a Masters in Special Education. I have done several trainings for the school district and the state on the process as well as present at the College Board Forum. I most recently was a panelist on the Special Education Advisory Board. The focus was on the success that our school and 4 other schools were having with their special needs population. If you review my forum I discuss a little about my business launch services. When I saw Atlanta, I took an additional interest...I own property there and wanted to launch my business in the state perhaps we can connect. Frequently, used email is triciarock@yahoo.com. Good luck and as one educator to another...always as you know do it for the children and things like the building will come.