Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 11:23 PM by jw_cogent

Networking through chamber of commerce

jw_cogent Newbie
      Has anyone had success in joining local chambers of commerce? Has it helped expand your network of potential new clients? I'd like to know whether to pursue this for a home-based writing and editing business, but I'm not sure it's worth the expense.

Thanks!

jw_cogent
      www.cogenttext.com
        • Re: Networking through chamber of commerce
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Networking through chamber of commerce, Welcome

Who r u?? Chambers of Commerce are all different both in size and in scope.

Check with your local SCORE office
          • Re: Networking through chamber of commerce
            amspcs Ranger
            I guess the answer to your question is: It depends. Not all chambers are created equally: some are much more effecient, organized and/or effective than others.
            Some have very well organized lead groups that work very well, some don't.
            I have had great success with chambers during my career, and have found others to be a waste of time and effort.

I think you need to do your homework. Attend some functions, mixers, lead group meetings, and see what your impressions are.

I'd also caution you to have realistic expectations. First of all, effective networking is a two-way street. Don't expect to just get leads and referrals without working hard to give them as well.
            Also, don't expect immediate gratification or results. It takes time to build effective working relationships, I'd say six months to a year minimum. So you need to look at the chamber
            expense as a long-term investment, not an immediate bang-for-the-buck thing. If you do these things and chose your chamber affiliation carefully, I think it's a good idea.

AMSPCS
            amspcs@juno.com
            www.MerchantServices-help.com