Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 4:45 PM by blkdv1

Can someone help me with starting my own clothing line

Wayfarer

Hi

I am trying to start my own clothing line for juniors. I have many samples. I've gotten a t shirt made. I'm almost complete with getting the name registered. I want to know what is the next step for me. I'm open for any suggestions. Someone please help.
        • Re: Can someone help me with starting my own clothing line
          Adventurer
          As I read all the suggestions given to people who are asking for help, there seems to be some basic stuff that must be done before you can get started or at least you will have to go back and and fill in the blanks. My suggestion for sequence of things. 1. Make a business plan. 2. let someone look at it (like SCORE or other qualified person) If its clothing? Do sketches, do samples, find a manufacturer for your product, create catalogue, NOW the HARD part start building customer base. Then start taking orders. We mfg. dance wear so we contacted dance schools, We mfg 1pc to 1000 pcs. Questions? Sonnie mmjc90002002@yahoo.com
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Adventurer

There are associations for everything. Find them for your field and join in their discussion groups where you will find people with experience in your business. Also, find the local SCORE office and contact them. They are a completely free service that will hook you up with a retired executive in your line of work that can serve as a mentor to you. They can answer any questions you have and help put you in contact with the right people.

Knowing how to design clothes is not enough. You need a great deal of business knowledge to do this successfully and to avoid being taken advantage of. I advise small, new and home businesses and I recently set up a website were they can go for links to all of the free resources. If you go to thatsitforless.com and click on Start It Up, you will find all of the links you need. I would recommend starting with the Small Business Administration where you will find simple tutorials that will walk you step-by-step through the business start up process.

Starting a clothing line takes a great deal of money, which you won't get unless you can prove you have a lot of expreience in this field. If you lack that experience, you should consider working first in a larger design house where you will learn a great deal. That is where most new designers start out.

business01 Wayfarer
              Congratulations on your new business. I think the last 2 post covered almost everything just one suggestion from my end would be do not restrict yourself to clothing line try other stuff as well. Also when you start a store you can have a section where you can have after school programs where you can make kids paint there own t-shirts. Like just writting I love mommy or I love daddy kind of stuff. So the idea is you will be able to sell plain t-shirts and also increase traffic in the store. I am a business consultant Feel Free to email me at ali.syed35@gmail.com and also I have few manufacture which I can hook you up.

Best of Luck