Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 23, 2010 1:46 PM by Internetannie

Formulas to Find Your Perfect Client

Mike Johnson Newbie
      Prospecting for new clients is a lot like dating – you’re getting to know a stranger, tip-toeing around serious questions and most importantly, figuring out if you’re compatible. The goal of prospecting is to establish a relationship so that you’re considered for that first project. While working with existing clients is great, there’s a real formula to figuring out which prospects you’ll work with best. When it comes to identifying the perfect client, there are some red flags and clear signs to help you find the perfect match. And don’t forget, just like dating, first impressions will dictate whether you’ll have a long-lasting and fruitful future together.

Paula Sours found a formula that works – sell what appeals to you to markets that appeal to you. Sours, a sales assistant with Superior Business Solutions, found that when she likes a product, she’ll start by learning everything she can about it. By selling what she likes, Sours has been able to target specific clients and form relationships with them. “The worst thing you can do is try to sell something you dislike. If you’re not a good liar, it will show,” she says.

When it comes to prospecting, Sours has also noticed the red flags. “I had one client that was yes, yes, yes, we’re interested, but they kept changing what they wanted. Or, they kept delaying the in-house date. If they say they need to think about it, that’s a big red flag,” she says.

Another rule of thumb to follow when dealing with a new client is to look for loyalty. Denise Knierim, account manager with Show Your Logo Inc., always looks out for what is best for her company and expects that same attitude from her clients. “If they are not going to be loyal to their company why would they be loyal to me? To me the most important thing is to look at how they value their company,” she says.

So how does she weed out the disloyal prospects? “When people badmouth their company, it’s a sign that they might be looking for another job. You can build off of people who care about where they work,” she says.

The typical view that prospecting is a numbers game is often time consuming and results in few if any qualified prospects. How do you escape the numbers trap and prospect in a way that results in qualified prospects? Carl Eidson, vice president of business development with Wilson Learning Corporation, answers that question. He says, “A lot of salespeople work hard at prospecting, but the problem is they keep looking for gold in the wrong places and no matter how hard they work, they will never be successful. They need tofirst identify what their ideal customer profile is, look for new prospects who meet those criteria and focus their prospecting energy there.” Once you understand who it is you want to do business with, you can better craft your sales messages in a meaningful way.
        • Re: Formulas to Find Your Perfect Client
          I agree with most of those thoughts, and I would like to add or comment to them.

First, Jeff Walker, top Internet marketer, does address the prospect search part of the business, as a means of constantly building the client base and thus growing your business. However, he further says that a client buys 7-10 more times than an actual prospect. Therefore, the focus should be always on the client, and the ongoing effort goes towards prospecting.

Secondly, what Paula Sours says not to represent a product or service which "you do not like and people will know you are lying" true. People have become very savvy and are not uneducated anymore concerning products,marketing, and sales people. Furthermore, there has been a drive in the last decade towards honesty, integrity, sincerity, and connection. That is why prospects do not buy from companies that are not in integrity (either towards their work force, source of products, etc. ), or salesmen/women they do not like or connect with...the market is so huge and the sources are why should they bother and buy from someone that they have no affinity with?

Furthermore, when prospects do say "I have to think about it" is because we are not offering enough value. We will always have the money to pay for things that will solve a problem and therefore see a value in. If the services or products are not addressing any pending issue in our lives- we will always say "no." Money is not an issue. As a matter of fact, if we do not find value in the product or service...we will not take it- even if its for free!

Thanks for sharing those thoughts.